What defines a "massive weight loss pt"? Are there plastic surgeons that specialize in surgery for these types of pts?

Recently learned that this applies to me. Not sure how about the word massive..... Any way, what all qualifies the title? The total amount loss in comparison to ideal body weight? Also, what makes these patients different than those seeking similar procedures for different reasons? Just wondering. 5'2" and down 115lbs. Looking to loose a few more pounds and then the skin.

What defines massive weight loss?

Hello and thank you for your excellent question.  Congratulations on your weight loss. I don't define it but anyone losing a lot more weight than we typically think about, say 30 to 40 pounds. I generally think about over 90 pounds. 
There are some plastic surgeons who do specialize in post massive weight loss body contouring I being one of them.
The difference between body contouring in a patient who doesn't like there shape for whatever reason and someone who has had "massive weight loss " is:
There is significantly more skin to remove which typically has lost some elasticity. It is far more complicated to not only move the tissue appropriately but creative attractive curves in doing so. Incisions need to be longer and therefore there are potentially more complications. 
There are many other reasons, suffice it to say that you should see someone who does specialize in this form of surgery. 
Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Considering Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss in Melbourne, Florida

While massive weight loss is considered to be a general term, I often think of it in particular for patients who have lost 100 or more pounds. Yes, there are plastic surgeons, such as myself, who specialize in body contouring and have more experience in this area. I hope this information is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

What defines a massive weight loss patient?

Thank you for your excellent question.  In general massive weight loss patient is reserved for those individuals losing 100 or more pounds.  There are fellowships that surgeons can take after plastic surgery training that specialize in the body contouring procedures that many of these patients request.  Hope this helps.

Body Contouring after Weight-Loss Surgery

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your weight loss success!  There is not a standard definition for the amount of weight loss that qualifies as 'massive,' but that terminology is typically associated with patients who have lost significant amounts of weight following a bariatric procedure.  Multiple research studies have demonstrated benefits such as better long-term weight control and sustained quality of life improvement in post-bariatric surgery patients after body contouring surgery.

Patients who are seeking body contouring after weight-loss surgery may differ from patients presenting for other reasons in several ways.  One of the primary differences is the change in skin elasticity that occurs after a substantial amount of weight loss.  This may result in the need for longer incisions in order to remove the excess skin needed to achieve the desired contour that conforms to the reduced body size.  Plastic surgeons who commonly perform body contouring procedures are experts in placing those incisions along areas that may be hidden by most types of clothing.

Additional reasons that post-weight loss surgery patients may differ relate to nutritional status and other pre-existing health conditions that may impact their candidacy for surgery as well as the risk for potential complications.  For those reasons, it is important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring surgery.

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon