Lost flexibility?

It is three weeks after my I had Lipo on my inner thighs, outer thighs, knees, and banana roll. The PS said he also "lightly feathered" the cannula across my quadriceps. I am finally starting to feel like a human again and not just a giant, painful bruise. : ) My problem is that I have lost so much flexibility in my legs. I can't even bend my legs enough to sit cross-legged. My quads, hamstrings, and knees are TERRIBLY TIGHT. Can I start trying to stretch them out? Is this normal?

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Exilis Ultra/Cellutone or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Liposuction causes tightness and sometimes can decrease flexibility for a short time. I suggest speaking to your physician about the post-operative protocol.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction - now my legs are tight. Can I stretch?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  1. You will be stiff because you are swollen and because surgery causes inflammation.
  2. Ask your surgeon if you can gently start doing stretches -
  3. You have to be careful - any bouncing or forcing can tear the tight muscles or fascia around them.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lost Flexibility

I am happy to hear you are feeling human again!  Since you are three weeks from your surgery, what you are describing sounds normal and should be temporary. Massage and stretching is a normally needed to help any healing tissue recover.   I cannot tell you to start stretching now, since I am not your plastic surgeon.  It's always best to talk to your surgeon regarding when to restart activities since he or she was the one who knows exactly what was done and can examine you to be sure everything is proceeding normally.  Best wishes, I'm confident you'll continue to head in the right direction and your flexibility will return.  Dr. Jaime A. Bastidas, MD.

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon