Why do some cheek implants look like balls in the faces of the patients?

Recently I saw Cher but also Meg Ryan (originally both beautiful women) smiling on TV, and I could see clearly that something strange and artificial is sitting under their skin on their faces. And these ladies are not the only ones with those strange balls on their cheeks. There are numerous others. Is there an alternative to get great/full cheeks without the implants?

Cheek implant candidate

Cheek implants offer a permanent augmentation to the mid- face area when there is loss of volume. The size and the shape of the implant is very important, which is usually determined  at the time of the consultation and examination. Experience of the surgeon also matters. It is best to under-do the implants, not overdo them which can give a unnatural appearance. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many examples, please see the video and the link below

It is difficult to say whether a person has had Plastic Surgery from a photo and also to determine what kind if they have had it.  Cheek fillers, fat injections and implants are all used to make a cheek appear more full.  Any one of these treatments can contribute to a 'overly' done look.  I find fat transfers to be the most natural appearing since they are your own tissue and can be added in stages to the effect you want.  

Cheek Implants

The look of cheek implants has affected by many factors including their style/size, placement on the bone and the amount of overlong soft tissue cover. Like breast implants that can look like balls on the chest, large overprotecting cheek implants can end up looking the same.

Hi, I have performed many Cheek Augmentations using dermal fillers and or cheek implants.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  The proper sized and shaped cheek implant that is properly placed will feminize the entire face while ones are "not" can make the face wide, broad and relatively masculine.  

Hope this helps.

" Balls in the Face" after Cheek Implants

Abnormal cheek contours can be obvious after implants or injections of fat or fillers if not done by an experienced  specialist. Consult with a surgeon who uses all these techniques and will show you excellent results with each approach.

Cheek augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many options to enhance and rejuvenate the cheeks in a natural appearing manner.  If malar implants, fillers, or a SMAS facelift is performed with good technique, this can achieve a natural look.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cheek augmentation without Implants-- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane; Fat; Sculptra

It could depend on a number of factors, but mainly the timing of their procedure. Cheek augmentation can be done with fat or implants, but also with fillers, such as Radiesse, Voluma, and Sculptra treatments for collagen building.  Please see a professional for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer

Cheek augmentation and a natural results

Cheek augmentation is a procedure to increase the volume of the cheek. This may be performed by using silicone implants, fat grafting, or with facial fillers. 

Implants are notorious for starting out great, but eventually they become too prominent as the face ages. Facial fillers can produce a safe and natural result. Fillers are a temporary solution. Fat transfer is a permanent procedure that uses your own fat to produce lasting volume in your face. Each procedure has its pros and cons, so I recommend seeking a consultation. After an interview, examination, and photographs, your surgeon can present potential treatment options appropriate for your face to produce a safe and happy result. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants - can one get a good result without implants

Thank you for asking about your cheek implants.

• You can get full cheeks with either cheek implants or fillers.
  • If you have very sunken cheeks, implants are necessary.
  • If you are tired of spending money on fillers, cheek implants are a reasonable option.
  • they should not be too large - 
  • At the moment, the fashion is fillers for everything - it is likely that the celebrities you are seeing do not have implants but a huge amount of injected filler.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS