Is It Safe to Have Plastic Surgery in Tijuana Mexico Vs USA?

Plastic Surgery in Tijuana - Dr. Luis Suarez

Yes, absolutely about 80% of my patients are American and we have never had any issues surgery always goes flawless we have great hotels and recovery houses we are very close to the border we have transportation local and to and from the airport.

Tijuana is a great place to come for plastic surgery I can assure prices here are much better than in the U.S. We have quality attention in hospitals, doctors and specialists' clinics and labs, all with state of the art technology and experienced bilingual medical staff.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Out of country plastic surgery

You may be lucky and you may not with surgery in another country.  Generally the standard of care is less in some undeveloped countries without the check and balances the US has.  Also if you have a complication, who will deal with it. Do not play Russian roulette with your body.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Safe to Have Plastic Surgery in Tijuana Mexico Vs USA?

I think that you are asking a question that is far too general to answer with any accuracy. In other words, I'm sure there are “safe” places to have surgery in Tijuana and unsafe places to have surgery in the United States ( and vice versa).The fact that you are asking the question leads me to think that you have reasons to be concerned...

In regards to selecting a plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery;  keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Medical Tourism

I do not recommend having the procedure performed anywhere far from your home. You need to be close to your surgeon if a complication or problem arises. The person best suited to addressing complications is the surgeon who performed your procedure. Medical standards are also different, and you may not get the treatment of the same caliber as that in your country. If you are Mexican and live in Tijuana, then it's ideal to get your surgery done there. If you're American and live far from Tijuana, better to have your surgery performed in your area.

Ronald Levine, MD

Plastic Surgery in Mexico

Both places are good if you go with a certified plastic surgeon. The patients who decided go for plastic surgery in Mexico , do not usually have the possibility of surgery performed in the United States even if they want.

Tijuana Mexico is an option for proximity to the border with San Ysidro California, for ease or low payment, or because a friend's recommendation.

If you decide to have a surgery out of your country , do your medical research very well , in Mexico there is an association that control us . Please questions them about the certificates of the doctors you choose.
Dr. Sigler

Alicia Sigler, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery Abroad

Medical tourism has become extremely popular because of the perception of lower cost.  However, any medical procedure comes with potential complications.  Traveling outside the country for plastic surgery poses risks beyond what I would consider acceptable.  Staying close to home and choosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is the safest and most reliable option.  

John Burns, MD

Not a good idea

I strongly recommend you do not have your surgery performed abroad. In addition to medical standards being quite different, your surgeon won't be in the same city as where you live once you return. If complications occur, you won't be able to see the best person to address them: your original surgeon. If you decide to go abroad anyway, please make sure you at least get a full report of your surgery so that you can give it to a surgeon in your city if a complication occurs. They'll have to know the details of your surgery in order to better diagnosis your possible complication.

Safety and risk is a question when traveling to another country for cosmetic surgery

May work well for you but remember if you have a complication you will have to travel back to the original surgoen for care. Many plastic surgeons are unwilling to care for complications that are due to traveling to another country for discount plastic surgery.

Surgery in Mexico

I don't know why you would go to Mexico to have surgery when there are plenty if excellent surgeons in San Diego.  You may save a little money, but think of the hassles.  Traveling, hotel rooms, and most of all having to return if you need revisions of any kind. Not to mention peace of mind.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Safe to have surgery in Tijuana, Mexico? #breastimplant

You seem conflicted by your question. The most important thing is that you choose a board certified surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You can find a list of surgeons on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery websites. What you need to know is that you have good and bad surgeons all over the world. Being that said, when patients are looking to go abroad for surgery it is usually because they are seeking cheaper surgery. You never want to cut corners with cost. Revision surgery can cost you even more at the end of the day. So, weigh your options, and your reasons for why you ask this question. If this was your family or child would you want them to seek cheap surgery or go to the best surgeon possible no matter what the cost?

Richard J. Brown, MD