Should I wear compressing earrings? After I remove all my keloids? On my earlobes.

I have three keloids and two sandwich on my left earlobe and one behind the back of my right earlobe. I got one keloid remove on my left ear (the front ) and I was wondering if after all my surgical removal.

Earlobe keloid scars

This is a common problem that plastic surgeons see. Nothing is perfect, unfortunately, in terms of preventing the scarring from returning. I've the most complete treatment using a surgical removal of the scars followed immediately by 2 days of radiation therapy. Insurance companies rarely cover this, and there are some risks of the radiation. However, only the earlobe is treated and all other tissues are shielded from the beams. I hope that helps.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe

I highly recommend wearing the compression earrings after keloid removal. There is tons of evidence supporting the lower recurrance of the keloid with post op pressure and steroids

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Ear keloids

ear compressing earings can be worn after keloid excision.  I do not recommend them on a routine basis but they can be helpful.  Its important to have kenalog injection and possible 5FU injections after surgical removal of keloids to reduce the chance of recurrence.

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Compression After Ear Keloid Removal

Thanks for your question!  You can wear compression earrings after removing ear lobe keloids, which can help quite a bit.  I typically recommend injection of a steroid called kenalog at the time of keloid removal.  Consult with your surgeon about these injections!  Best of luck to you!

Compression Earrings after Keloid Removal?

Thank you for your question. Compression earrings have been used for years to attempt to diminish the recurrence of earlobe keloids, and I do recommend them to my patients. Injections of dilute kenalog (an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid) either at the time of repair, or shortly thereafter, are also helpful.

Michael F. Bohley, MD