My second treatment with SculpSure was painful even at the lowest setting. I only lasted 5 min. Is this normal?

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. It is not abnormal for the patient to find a certain level of discomfort unbearable as we all have unique pain tolerances and reactions to each procedure. My suggestion is that you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and discuss a treatment plan for beginning your next SculpSure procedure with a lower setting.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure pain

Some patients tolerate SculpSure treatments better than others. In your case there could be other factors that may be influencing how you responded to the treatment. Things you can do to have a better treatment include:
- ensuring you are not on your period or close to the date- proper nights sleep
- a full meal before receiving treatment
- relaxed as your body will tend to accept things much better than when you are stressed and tense
- waiting the full 6 week before second treatment
- medications that may interfere with the procedure - should be discussed during first consultation

If you still have high levels of discomfort you may receive pain control or sedatives to assist you in the process of receiving your treatment, it all really depends on your physician and his/her practice.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain and SculpSure

No this is not normal. Most patients tolerate a higher setting. There are methods to get you though this treatment including Pentrox and distraction. The usual time for SculpSure is 25 minutes. Kind regardsDr Davin Lim, Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Pain after SculpSure is very unusual

It is unusual, but some patients cannot tolerate a SculpSure session.  Since you were successful with the first session, I would be willing to try again and see what happens.  Do not take any sedation or numb the skin before a session, the feedback is critical to obtaining the best possible result.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure 2nd Treatment Sensitvity

Hello Gmajune,

Having pain with your 2nd SculpSure treatment is unusual. Being treated too close together, premenstrual, and taking medications that cause sensitivity can be a few factors that can contribute to being more sensitive with your 2nd treatment. Talk to your provider and see if there has been any changes since your 1st treatment. Hope this helps!

Sedation is fine

Sedation beforehand with some medications will help manage the pain since this is painful for you.Talk to your doctor.

Pain at #2

This is a very unusual reaction for #2. I have seen it fir #1 but not for #2. You probably need to space it out further so the fat has been absorbed and there is no reaction going on 3 ? 4 months. We do not like to anesthetize the skin because the feedback sensation level is a safety feature.

Pain Associated with SculpSure

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you had such discomfort with your SculpSure treatment - most patients can easily tolerate the procedure on a very low setting; perhaps you are super sensitive for some reason, or your treatment frames were placed near or over bone. When the treatment frames are placed over bone there can be increased sensitivity - however, if you tolerated your initial procedure just fine, I'm not really certain why you had such difficulty this time. If the treatments were spaced close together (less than 6 weeks), you may have had some residual swelling or tenderness that perhaps made this treatment less tolerable.