Is Dermapen/Micro-needling more effective when combined with PRP? (Photo)

In general, is micro-needling more effective when combined with PRP in treating acne scars? I have indented scars on my right cheek. They're not extremely deep or rough, but very noticeable nonetheless. Many are narrow which I've heard can be harder to treat. I also have moderate hyperpigmentation throughout the whole area.

Treating Acne Scars

Acne scars are a result of severe inflammation (sometimes worsened by picking) of acne lesions. The area that needs to be treated is in the deep dermis of the skin. The gold standard in treating acne scars is using fractional lasers to stimulate collagen remodeling. The micro-needling pen in my opinion does not do the same thing as fractional lasers (even though many claim it does). The laser provides thermal stimulation and stimulates remodeling whereas the microneedling just pokes holes into the skin and does not provide thermal stimulation.

The scientific evidence for PRP in acne scars is very limited. Its more of a buzz phrase that is popular but I don't think there are any well done studies that support its use.

My advice is to make sure you have consulted with a reputable dermatologist (or two) with expertise in the treatment of acne scars rather than a medical spa. Remember you are doing a procedure to treat your skin, so stick to the experts for the skin.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Is #Dermapen/ #Microneedling effective for #acne #scars when combined with #PRP?

We've been performing microneedling with PRP for the past year and I've seen surprising results in terms of acne scarring and overall improvement in skin texture and pigmentation. Some of the most impressive results have been in patients who have already been treated with the gold standard laser resurfacing, chemical peels and dermabrasion. I do think that PRP is oversold in some circles as a miracle cure and the data is not there yet, as Dr. Ibrahimi suggested. However, I definitely think that this treatment is effective for many people with acne scarring. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling and prp

I have seen amazing results using Biopelle with dermapen. Until I see a head to head comparison between Biopelle and prp, I'm not going to tell my patients it's worth the added cost..

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD