​Is it ok to take Phentermine before a Tummy Tuck?

I'm having a Tummy Tuck in February. I'm trying to lose couple of more lbs .I have Phentermine, is this OK to take?

​Is it ok to take Phentermine before a Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  Phenteremine will interfere with your anesthesia and may cause complications.  You must discontinue weight loss supplements such as phentermine 2-6 weeks before surgery.  Ask your surgeon for his recommendations when to stop.  

Is it ok to take Phentermine before a Tummy Tuck?

I ask my patients to stop taking any diet pills or supplements at least 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.  It would be to your benefit to discuss this with your surgeon and anesthesiologist before taking anything.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I believe you have to consider having this talk with your PS and Anesthesiologist due to the fact that this or any other drug might have a side effect if combined with other medication applied during your surgical procedure.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Stop all diet pills before surgery

You should stop Phentermine and any diet pills for at least 10 days before surgery as they can interfere with some forms of anesthesia. Discuss this in detail with your surgeon and/or anesthesiologist prior to having your procedure.

William Bruno, MD

Phentermine before BA? #breastimplants

This is not a medication I would suggest that you take before surgery. Nor should you use it without being supervised by a physician. It can cause heart problems if not monitored correctly. So I would not take this medication prior to surgery because in addition it can interact with anesthetic medications.

Richard J. Brown, MD

You would definitely want to be off the phentermine before surgery due to the risk of anesthetic complications. Check with your doctor and/or anesthesiologist to find out when they want youj to stop the med.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Stop Meds

The best practice is to stop all weight loss and diet pills (including medications like phenteramine) before surgery.  They can have interactions with anesthesia. I typically recommend to stop these meds 2 weeks before surgery.  Although some physicians may recommend stopping them a few days before surgery.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Phentermine may have drug interactions with various anesthetic agents, and best practice would be to stop about a week before surgery. The "half-life" of the medicine is almost a day, so it does take a while to be removed from the body once intake has ceased. 

It will be best to discuss specifics with your surgeon if this doesn't entire answer the question. Thanks, good luck with your upcoming procedure.

All the best.