How long does it take for the implants to drop and fluff completely?

I am 4 months post op today. They are not as close together as I would like them to be and they don't seem to go all the way down into the pocket of the boob on the right side. I can feel the empty spot in the bottom where i can't feel that on the right side. Am i going to need a revision?

When do you see the final results after breast augmentation?

All patients should ignore how things look in the beginning as it takes time to see the final results. As a general guide, at 6 weeks post-op most of the swelling has settled and you can really start to appreciate how things are going to look. Of course, I advise all my patients that it typically takes 3-6 months for the breasts to fully settle into position and soften. Some people use the term “drop and fluff” to describe this stage which basically refers to the implants settling and the breast tissue softening.

However, at the 4 month stage you really should be getting to your "final result". Basically it sounds like your implants are still riding up a little too high. If this is the case then you may require further surgery to adjust the implant pockets.

Ideally you should see your surgeon and he/she will advise as to what if anything can be done. However, typically they would probably suggest waiting until 6 months post-op before undergoing any possible revision surgery.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take for the implants to drop?

After a submuscular breast augmentation the overlying muscle will gradually relax and the overlying breast tissue will stretch to some degree. This will allow the implant to settle into the lower part of the breast and improve the contour. This process can take up to 6 months. If you are concerned about the appearance of your breasts after this period of time you should reconsult with your plastic surgeon. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

3-6 Months Before Reaching Normal Position

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change.During this time, swelling, muscle spasm and the healing process itself all contribute to changes in the appearance of a woman’s breasts.
In some cases, superior implant displacement may be due to swelling and muscle spasm when implants have been placed beneath the muscle.In other cases, superior implant malposition may be related to inadequate dissection of the inferior portion of the breast implant pocket.
With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants will often drop into their normal position.This process usually takes about 3 to 6 months.If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary.This would involve recreating the lower portions of the breast pocket.
Your history suggests that progress has been slow and that your breast implants are still relatively high.For these reasons, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.Under these circumstances, revisional surgery may be a distinct option for you.

How long for implants to settle?

Usually by 3-4 months the implants have settled most of the way and the swelling has subsided.  However, the breasts will continue to subtly change for months after that, depending on may factors such as tissue laxity, tissue volume, implant size, etc.    Your surgeon should be able to help determine what to expect in your specific situation.

Dr. Michelle Spring

Drop And Fluff

After breast augmentation, the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become edematous. As the swelling subsides and the tissues begin to stretch from the weight of implants, the breasts begin to settle and take on a more natural breast shape. This is the "drop and fluff". Over the next few months, as the edema finally escapes and the soft tissues relax, the final shape becomes evident. This process is often asymmetric as the breasts relax and settle at their own rates. It will often take 3 to 6 months to see a final result.

Assuming there is no emergent issue, patients should allow at least 6 months for the swelling to resolve and the tissues to soften before contemplating any changes. At that point, a detailed exam and a frank discussion with the surgeon will help delineate the best treatment option.

How long does it take for breast implants to settle?

Generally speaking, implants placed in the subpectoral position (below/under the chest muscle) will take 3-4 months to settle into their ideal position.  In some instances this process will be prolonged and it can take up to 6 months, but more often than not 3-4 months is the usual time frame.  It is important that patients continue to follow up with their operating surgeon during this period of time for evaluation and to discuss any concerns that the patient may have.  

In the absence of photos and a physical exam it is impossible to evaluate where you currently stand in regards to your progress.  I would recommend following up with your surgeon to evaluate your cosmetic concerns and to see if breast massages are indicated.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best.

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

When will my implants drop completely after breast augmentation

For your individual situation, you should speak with your plastic surgeon. In general it takes at least 3-6 months for implants to look their best.

Settling of implants

Thank you for the question.  it should take a good 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle so it would be best to wait for a few more weeks before making any decision.  best to contact your board-certified plastic surgeon as well for advice.  TBest of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breast Implant "Drop and Fluff" explained

The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant" when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.