Risks of Restylane on Upper Eyelids for Sunken Eyes

Hi there, I wore glasses until I was 26 y/o. For this reason, my eyes are quite sunken in my face. I was considering the idea of undergoing a treatment with Restylane to make my upper eyelids look fuller and less sunken. Could anyone explain to me any risks of this procedure or if there is anything better than this treatment? Many thanks.

Restylane for Eyelid Rejuvenation

Restylane is most commonly used under the eyes for eyelid rejuvenation. Restylane can also be injected below the eyebrow but above the eyelid to add fullness to the area. Due to the complex nature of the anatomy around the eyelid and the thinness of the skin, this area is best treate by a very experienced injector.

Restylane for Eyelid Rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Upper eyelid fullness with Restylane or Juvederm

I have injected, off-label, Restylane and Juvederm into the outer aspect of the eybrow and slightly onto the preseptal upper eyelid but not the pretarsal lid. This helps augment volume that is lost with time and creates a lowering of the upper eyelid and hooding. It is done cautiously and with very low amounts. If it were injected into the upper eyelid skin in the lower aspect, it would have a higher chance of leaving you with uneveness, lumpiness, and prolonged swelling and may cause signficant bruising for a couple of weeks after treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Bad idea

Restylane and other fillers are great when used properly. The upper eyelids are not the place for filler. See an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate your complaint and outline your options.

Bad idea

Filler treatment for sunken eyes

The placement of filler in the upper eyelids is very tricky and not commonly done, though not impossible. Placement of filler products or fat grafting often leads to more prolonged tissue swelling compared with treatment in other areas of the face. Additionally, the very thin tissue in this region makes irregularities or lumps a possibility.

Treatment to the eyelid/brow complex may improve the sunken appearance you're noting. I'd consult with a board certified physician with experience in treating this area to see what specific options may be best for you.

Filler treatment for sunken eyes

I would not reccomend restylane or any other filler for upper lid issues.

It is not very forgiving in lid skin in general.  You should see a board certified dermatologist for a proper evaluation and options that can safely and predictably improve the problem

Dr. Malouf

Dr. Malouf

Restylane for Upper Eye Lid?

Hi London.  We would not suggest using a dermal filler like Restylane on the upper eyelid.  This is a very delicate area and could lead to serious complications if done imperfectly.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane for Upper Eye Lid?

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

This treatment is still uncommon.

Dear London

The anatomy of the upper eyelid is more complex than that for other parts of the face.  Additionally, the skin in the upper eyelid is quite thin.  Irregularities of the upper eyelid contour are more likely.  Also within the orbit but close to the skin is a relatively large vascular structure called the superior orbital vein.  There is a risk that an inexperienced injector could inadvertently inject filler into this vein.   While this type of therapeutic misadventure has not been reported, it remains a clinical possibility.  Because this vein communicates directly to the cavernous sinus at the base of the brain, the clinical outcome of such an event could be visual loss or stroke.  For this reason, experienced injectors typically lift the lid and inject the material along the orbital rim or alternatively treat very superficially and accept a certain level of skin irregularities.  Do to these considerations, there are limits to what can be accomplished with these type of treatments.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

This treatment is still uncommon.

Dear London

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane for Upper Eyelids

The skin on your upper eyelids is extremely thin so Restylane injections in this area would be far too risky and would be likely to cause visible bumps.

Restylane for Upper Eyelids

Upper eyelids and restylane

Restylane is sometimes used along the lower eyelid crease and even for loss of volume in the upper eyelid/brow junction.  It may leave lumps as a coomplication.

Upper eyelids and restylane

Do Not Use Restylane in Upper LIds - Use Fat

Fat grafting can provide a permanent and natural looking result to the brow upper lid junction, or to almost any area of the face, provided you find a very experienced, well trained and talented plastic surgeon. Please view the attached videos and other videos on realself that discuss fat grafting in the brow / upper lid junction.

Physicians with special interest in fat grafting of the eye area will have galleries on their websites to demonstrate their expertise in this procedure. The before and after images on Realself can be a great place to start. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon