Had Kybella injected 1 month ago still swollen rock hard & right eye twitches. Any suggestions?

How long for swelling go down? Is eye twitching a side effect? Is there anything I can do to help the swelling?

Kybella Swelling

Thank you for your question. Your right eye twitching is likely unrelated to the Kybella. Eye twitching can be caused by a variety of other factors - dryness, caffeine, stress and sleeplessness - just to name a few. As far as your neck goes, the swelling really should start to dissipate soon. At this point, I would try to gently massage the area a couple of times a day. This will break up the firm areas, and hasten the reduction in swelling. If you are having more pain, or the swelling persists, I would suggest following up with your injector to ensure that everything is healing appropriately. Best of luck! 

Firmness after Kybella

Depending on how much fat you have in the submental area, firmness can persist for weeks after the treatments. This is secondary to the body's response to clean up the dissolved fat and also part of the inflammatory response. Unlikely that the right eye twitch is related to Kybella. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

Thank you for your question anonymouslyspeaking. Kybella is an outstanding treatment for the double chin. Swelling is common. The most significant swelling occurs for the first week after a treatment but this can persist for several weeks. Hard nodules are possible after a treatment and they generally resolve on their own after several weeks. Some doctors recommend massage to help smooth out the nodules. Eye twitching is unlikely to have anything to do with Kybella. Please consult with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Swelling with Kybella injection

Swelling is common with Kybella injection and I make it a point to emphasize this to each of my patients prior to treatment. Most patients get swelling and the swelling can last from 2-4 weeks. Patients may experience lumpiness when feeling the treatment site. This is common and will usually resolve by 4-6 weeks. I would discuss you results with the physician who performed your treatment. The swelling should atleast be improving at this point, 4 weeks out. 

The eye twitching is almost certainly not related to the Kybella injection.

Also, let the swelling the lumpiness resolve before having another Kybella treatment session.

Kybella and Side Effects

Kybella is a fantastic treatment for the submental fat.  There are a few common side effects such as swelling and lumps which can take a few weeks to month to resolve.  Please return to your treating physician for examination. I often combine Kybella injections with Thermage for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Eye twitching would not be a side effect from the Kybella. Kybella swelling can last 2-4 weeks, so you should be seeing some improvement. Swelling can be improved with venus legacy and lymphatic massage. I suggest you see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Healing after Kybella injection

The healing process after Kybella injection may extend beyond the recommended minimum treatment interval of 4 weeks. Redness and firmness reflect the body's inflammatory response to the dying fat cells. This inflammatory response dissipates over time - weeks to months. If you have pain or other symptoms, call your doctors office. Follow-up with your injector is very important to check the injected areas and reassure you that you are on course to your lovely neck contour! 

The eyelid twitching may be stress-related ("myokymia", unrelated to injection) and should resolve spontaneously with rest. If those symptoms do not resolve in a timely fashion, you may want to check in with your ophthalmologist for treatment options.

Best wishes for a fabulous contour!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon