Can fillers injected into cheeks add enough volume to reduce marionette lines without looking overdone? (Photo)

I've spoken to two surgeons and several non surgical injectors about getting fillers to help with the marionette lines / jowels around my mouth. Most people have suggested filler in the cheek to add volume and lift the skin to reduce the marionette, plus a little filler to the marionette area. But, the two surgeons suggested adding filler to the marionette area only. One said its not possible to reduce marionettes with filler In the cheeks. I would love to get some more expert opinions...

Treating marionette lines

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for facial rejuvenation with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. In particular, I think you would benefit from Voluma placed in your malar area (i.e., mid-face). Voluma is a thicker HA filler, meant to be placed deep so as to provide structure and lift. If placed appropriately and in sufficient quantities, I do think this would soften your marionettes. You may then also benefit from placing some filler directly into these lines, so as to further soften them. Everyone's tissue responds a little differently to filler, so I like to start with the Voluma before deciding what other products, if any, may be necessary.  In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek filling & softening of marionette Lines

Dear Betty2010:Great question.  Looking at your photo, cheek reflation with a dermal filler would soften up your marionette lines.  I would suggest having your cheeks filled initially by an expert injector and re-assess your marionette lines 2-4 weeks thereafter.  Hope this information helps and wishing you treatment success.