What Filler for Outer/corner Eye Hollow (Not Tear Trough) Would Work for Me? (photo)

Outer corner by the top of the cheek, towards the ear (trying to describe because everyone always thinks tear trough) indents & gives it a circular hollow like appearance. Is there a filler other than restalyne for this area, would it be placed more to fill in the under eye, or below in the cheek, or just kind of ride that ridge? I've heard restalyne under eye but this isn't tear trough, would radiesse work, juvedurm, or is belotero something that could correct it riding that ridge? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 6

Outer Corner Lower Eyelid Hollows Respond Well To Belotero Balance

Treating lower eyelid hollows at the corners of the eyes is a very common treatment. In general, I must treat at least three every single day. Treatment usually requires a rather easy and painless injection--often only a single injection--placed via the cheekbone area through a cannula directed into the hollow and then molded and contoured into place. Properly done, this particular technique literally takes no more than a couple of minutes per side. The filling and leveling of the hollow is typically immediate and typically engenders a "Wow!" on the part of patients. While Restylane (often diluted) has been used for this purpose, I prefer Belotero Balance, as this product has not been associated with the bluish Tyndall effect, sometimes seen when hyaluronic acid fillers are placed too superficially in the skin. Consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating the areas under and around the eyes is a must.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Side eye hollows...

...are easily corrected with soft tissue augmentation.  I prefer hyaluronic acid products such as Restylane or Juvederm in this area as other fillers such as Radiesse and Artefill this close to the eye can "ball up" due to the constant action of the obicularis oculi muscle.  Just be sure you go to someone who has a LOT of experience in doing injections around the eye!

Laura E. Skellchock, MD (in memoriam)
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Restylane or Belotero Only Fillers To Use Around Eye

Thank you for your question. Restylane or Belotero will work in the outside corner of the eye as well as the tear trough. Long lasting fillers like Radiesse and Juvederm should not be used in the delicate eyelid tissue-visible lumps can happen in this thin skin.

Consider fat grafting for a permanent result

Outer eye hollow

I tend to use Belotero in this location if there is not fat that can be moved down from the eyelid to fill the hollow. Radiesse can show through the skin in this location. I would need to evaluate you in person in Worcester to say for sure.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Fillers for hollow eyes

This lateral area of hollowing is just as important as the tear trough for achieving a youthful transition from the lower eyelid to the cheek. Restylane and Belotero are the fillers of choice in this sensitive thin skinned area because they are the least puffy appearing.  This area is very unforgiving so the injection must be perfectly done. 

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Hollowing under eyes

Restylane works well in this area (in addition to the tear trough) and should help you achieve a smoother transition from the eyelid to the cheek.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 164 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.