Bruising After Restylane in Tear Troughs

I am planning on having Restylane injected into my tear troughs. I'm wondering if I need to plan it for a weekend if the bruising is too bad. How much bruising can I expect after injections of Restylane in tear trough? What is the average?

It is usually all or nothing!

This area either bruises not at all, or you get a bruise that will last a week. Be sure you are off of aspirin, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, and fish oil for 2 weeks prior to injection. Ask your doctor about the "push ahead" technique which traumatizes tissues less. Pre-treat with Prevedem by Neocutis to decrease bruising before, and after injection, try Bruise Relief gel, available at drug stores. Oral arnica may help as well, if OK'd by your primary care physician.

It is usually all or nothing!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bruising after Restylane

Tear troughs can be very tough and unpredicatable. The skin under the eyes is thin and more sensitive and more vascular and thus has more potential for bruising during injections. I typically tell my patients during consultation that they should plan for at least one week of potential down time in case any bruising and swelling occurs. It is best not to do these injections at least 2 weeks before any big event as swelling can occasionally take a few weeks to settle. You may be one of the patients that does not experience any of these however it is best to plan for it. I use a blunt tip instrument to place the filler in the tear troughs to minimize these complications. I also use a laser after injections to further prevent and or treat any bruising if it does occur. So there are precautions that can be taken to minimize these effects. It is always best to follow up with your physician to ensure that corrections do not need to be made. 

Stacy Chimento, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Restylane

Stacy Chimento, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough bruising with filler

Fillers injected anywhere in the face can cause bruising, and when this occurs in the tear troughs, typically the bruise lasts 7-10 days. A careful skin assessment and knowledge of anatomy will reduce greatly the risk of a bruise, as will staying away from various blood thinners (e.g. aspirin, advil, alcohol). Makeup can be applied, although in the first 5 days its often still not enough to fully camouflage. Restylane is a particularly good filler for the tear troughs and my preferred dermal filler in this location. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough bruising with filler

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising in the tear troughs after Restylane injections

I would immediately apply Bruisestick ointment to minimize bruising after injection.  This contains both Arnica and Bromelain. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Any filler injected under the eye can give you a black eye

Restylane, Juvederm and Radiesse injected under the eye in the tear troughs can easily give you a bruise, and it could take 5-10 days to disappear. Even 1 drop of blood can look pretty noticeable in this area so make sure you have a good week at least when you don't have any major events planned.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Restylane in the tear trough

If the physician is injecting the filler in the subcutaneous compartment under the skin and above the muscle, bruising can at times be more noticable, and the filler more lumpy, than when injected below the muscle. Bruising can occur as a result of the latter as well. The color of the bruise will fade over two weeks. Avoid any aspirin for two weeks prior to the injections, no Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, Alleve and other nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents for a few days before, and no alcoholic beverages for a few days before and day of if you want to minimize the chance of bruising. There are some herbal remedies that can increase bruising and these should be avoided as well, such as Ginko, Ginseng, Garlic supplements, fish oil, vitamin E, etc. The best advice is that although camouflage makeup may hide the bruise, don't have the treatment within two weeks of a very important social function. Most people like to have it done on a Friday to recover over the weekend in case of bruising, but the bruise if it occurs, will still be there though the following week. Some studies show that Arnica montana and bromelain minimizes bruising as does vitamin K creams.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Restylane

Avoidance of undereye blood vessels is key. There are several that are deep that surgoens encounter during cheeklift surgery that should be avoided.

That being said, anybody can get bruising from any injection.

Aspirin, cold remedies, motrin, etc. worsen the chances; careful technique, local anesthetic and ice diminish it. We usually ask patients to have the weekend free if they contemplate injections of heavy hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Bruising after Restylane

Brent Moelleken, MD

Reducing Restylane Side Effects

Filler injections into the tear trough region can causing bruising anywhere from 1-2 weeks.  Careful injection technique and the right combination of volume and specific filler can have the impact of reduced bruising.  Other factors that can help to minimize bruising are avoiding medications and supplements such as Advil, aspirin, fish oil and green tea.  Arnica tablets diminish the extent and duration of bruising and can be taken a few days after the treatment.

Reducing Restylane Side Effects

Ways to Avoid Bruising with Filler Treatments

It's simple to avoid excessive bruising  when by getting filler treatments for tear troughs!  Remember to eliminate offending over-the-counter medications and supplements such as Motrin, Advil and Excedrin and supplements such as fish oils, garlic and green tea.

Arnica oral tablets are an easy remedy to reduce the degree and length of time of bruising and can be taken 3 -5 days following the treatment.

#minimizebruising  #fillertreatments  #avoidbruisingoutcomes

Tear Troughs Outcomes Better with Prevention!

The best way to minimize bruising and swelling  - especially for sensitive areas like lips or under the eyes, is to avoid medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen ( Motrin and Advil) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Alleve or Naprosyn that might be taken for sports injuries . Other culprits of bleeding and bruising tendencies are green tea, flax seed oil, Omega -3s and alcohol or caffeine intake the day before your treatment!

#eyetroughbruising  #Reducingbruising   #Restylaneteartroughs