Bruising After Restylane in Tear Troughs

I am planning on having Restylane injected into my tear troughs. I'm wondering if I need to plan it for a weekend if the bruising is too bad. How much bruising can I expect after injections of Restylane in tear trough? What is the average?

Bruising after Restylane

Avoidance of undereye blood vessels is key. There are several that are deep that surgoens encounter during cheeklift surgery that should be avoided.

That being said, anybody can get bruising from any injection.

Aspirin, cold remedies, motrin, etc. worsen the chances; careful technique, local anesthetic and ice diminish it. We usually ask patients to have the weekend free if they contemplate injections of heavy hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm.

Bruising after Restylane

Tear troughs can be very tough and unpredicatable. The skin under the eyes is thin and more sensitive and more vascular and thus has more potential for bruising during injections. I typically tell my patients during consultation that they should plan for at least one week of potential down time in case any bruising and swelling occurs. It is best not to do these injections at least 2 weeks before any big event as swelling can occasionally take a few weeks to settle. You may be one of the patients that does not experience any of these however it is best to plan for it. I use a blunt tip instrument to place the filler in the tear troughs to minimize these complications. I also use a laser after injections to further prevent and or treat any bruising if it does occur. So there are precautions that can be taken to minimize these effects. It is always best to follow up with your physician to ensure that corrections do not need to be made. 

Stacy Chimento, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Ways to Avoid Bruising with Filler Treatments

It's simple to avoid excessive bruising  when by getting filler treatments for tear troughs!  Remember to eliminate offending over-the-counter medications and supplements such as Motrin, Advil and Excedrin and supplements such as fish oils, garlic and green tea.

Arnica oral tablets are an easy remedy to reduce the degree and length of time of bruising and can be taken 3 -5 days following the treatment.

#minimizebruising  #fillertreatments  #avoidbruisingoutcomes

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tear Troughs Outcomes Better with Prevention!

The best way to minimize bruising and swelling  - especially for sensitive areas like lips or under the eyes, is to avoid medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen ( Motrin and Advil) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Alleve or Naprosyn that might be taken for sports injuries . Other culprits of bleeding and bruising tendencies are green tea, flax seed oil, Omega -3s and alcohol or caffeine intake the day before your treatment!

#eyetroughbruising  #Reducingbruising   #Restylaneteartroughs

Tear trough bruising with filler

Fillers injected anywhere in the face can cause bruising, and when this occurs in the tear troughs, typically the bruise lasts 7-10 days. A careful skin assessment and knowledge of anatomy will reduce greatly the risk of a bruise, as will staying away from various blood thinners (e.g. aspirin, advil, alcohol). Makeup can be applied, although in the first 5 days its often still not enough to fully camouflage. Restylane is a particularly good filler for the tear troughs and my preferred dermal filler in this location. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising in the tear troughs after Restylane injections

I would immediately apply Bruisestick ointment to minimize bruising after injection.  This contains both Arnica and Bromelain. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bruising after Tear Trough Correction

Bruising occurs when a blood vessel is hit by the needle during the injection.  For this reason, it is very important to: 1.) find a qualified and experienced board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to perform the tear trough correction 2.) ensure that your doctor uses a microcannula.  A microcannula is a blunt tip needle used to insert filler (such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm) into desired areas of the face.  A needle is used to puncture a hole in the skin, and then the microcannula is inserted to evenly distribute the filler.  Since the microcannula has a blunt tip, the chance of hitting a blood vessel is low.  If by chance, you do experience bruising you can expect the area to resolve within a few days (depending on the size and location of the bruise).  Many of my patients have found that Bromelain or Arnica (found in GNC) help resolve bruising.  I hope this information helps!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising is common after Restylane treatments in the tear trough

There are a lot of blood vessels near the tear troughs, and bruising is relatively common. While some people don't bruise at all, I would say most people have at least small amounts.

The severity of bruising can be minimized by taking several precautions:

1. Always choose a well-trained injector. Technique is the most important factor in getting a good outcome and to minimize bruising. The tear troughs are very different than the rest of the face, and proper placement of the material is a must. Some blood vessels under the eye are in predictable locations, and can be avoided by an experienced injector.

2. You should also avoid aspirin, motrin, advil, Vitamin E before and after your treatment. Icing the area immediately after and for 2-3 days after treatment will also minimize bruising.

If you do get a bruise, it will take 7-14 days to fully resolve. Most of my patients come for Thursday or Friday treatments. You can use coverup to hide most of the bruising, but I would plan your treatment at least 2 weeks before any big photo-ops and social engagements.

I hope this infomration helps.

Richie L. Lin, MD
Summit Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after tear trough injections

Of all the places we put fillers, I believe the eyelid/ tear trough area is most susceptible to bruising. The area is very vascular and the skin very thin. So I would certainly plan a couple of days of minimal social calendar activity in case you do bruise. Avoid aspirin and any anti-inflammatory agents that could cause more bruising.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after tear trough Restylane injections

Avoiding aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Vit E for 2 weeks prior, employing immediate icing after, no strenuous exercise the day of the injection are all ways to minimize but NOT ELIMINATE the chance of bruising. The eyelid is very vascular and it is not the injector's fault if you bruise. Allow 2 weeks in planning to have the injections done before a big event.

This area should only be injected by doctors, and only doctors who do eyelid surgery because they best know the exact anatomy and can visualize better exactly where to place the material. This is no place for a nurse or a even a dermatologist in my opinion.

Finally, I believe Restylane to be superior to Juvederm in this area as I have seen prolonged swelling (not bruising) from Juvederm. Radiesse and other fillers are not as appropriate for this area as Restylane.