How Often Are Restylane Procedures Needed to Maintain Results?

How often is Restylane needed for very dark circles the eyes that extended all the way to the cheek bones?

Restylane maintenance in the tear troughs

Greetings~

Restylane in the tear troughs tends to last quite a long time in most patients if a full correction is done at the time of treatment.  We recommend initial follow up in 1-2 weeks and then in 3 months.  The majority of patients don't require a touch up until 6-9 months and many don't even need one then.  Unlike the lips and nasolabial folds, the tear trough area is not one that has a great deal of movement that would contribute to the product breaking down quickly. As with all areas, one of the keys to longevity is the level and completeness of correction--a full correction will give you a much longer lasting result.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Restylane - How Often Will I Need to Have Restylane Procedures Done to Keep Up my New Look?

Great question - but the answer is a bit complicated.

In general, the results of Restylane last about 6 months.  A safer estimate is about 4-6 months but there are claims of the effects lasting up to a year, and I've certainly seen that with some of patients.  I would count on that or guarantee it, but it's within the known range of the duration of its effects.  And it also depends on how much you have injected.

However, I don't think it is particularly effective for dark circles under the eyes.  Its best use, in my opinion, is as a filler; in other words, to provide bulk to the face (or other regions) where it has been lost over time, or where volume has shifted.  There are other fillers that are used similarly, but Restylane has many advantages (including that it can be "reversed" with hyaluronidase).

So - duration is one issue, indications for usage is a separate one.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Restylane to the tear troughs usually lasts 6 to 9 months.

Restylane can be used to fill the tear troughs, which are hollows between the inner portion of the eyelids and the cheeks.  Restylane will typically last between 6 and 9 months, though I have seen a year or more in some patients. Because the skin and soft tissues are very thin in this area, Restylane injection to the tear troughs is technically more difficult than in most other areas.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Resylane - How long does it last?

Most patients return for follow up visits around 6-12 months.  The filler is maximal the day the patient is injected, then slowly degrades over time.  For this reason, many patients come in at 6-9 months so as to avoid letting the product degrade all the way back down to baseline.

Kristel D. Polder, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane filler treatment longevity is variable

Restylane filler treatment longevity is variable. I would agree with the previous answers that suggest your results will last LESS than one year. However, as other physicians have commented, results and patients vary. The results you see with your first injection will give you a very good idea of the future longevity of the treatment. I usually tell patients that 6 - 9 months is reasonable but these numbers do vary in both directions. However, the results are temporary and repeat treatment is required to maintain the effect.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Restylane longevity

The longevity of Restylane depends on a variety of factors, including location of treatment and amount of material injected.  I find around the eyes it can last about 6-12 months.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

How Often Will I Need to Have Restylane Procedures Done to Keep Up my New Look?

I truly disagree with the majority of the expert posters on this issue of longevity of Restylane. I find if you get 3 months of effect than you should be very happy. 

How Long Will Restylane Last Under Your Eyes

Restylane a filler within the class of hyaluronic acid fillers.  Restylane's longevity is variable, but you can expect it to last from 6-12 months under your eyes.  Juvederm is also a hyaluronic acid filler, and I find that it lasts longer than Restylane and works better around the eye area.  As a treatment for the very dark circles under your eyes, any filler may be disappointing for you.  The fillers work very well in that area along what is called the "tear trough", which is a hollow area that is formed along the rim of the eye socket.  To the extent that the dark areas are caused by shadowing from the tear trough, the filler will help somewhat.  However, these dark areas are generally caused by discolorations in the skin, which will not be helped by filler.  You should be evaluated by a board-certiied plasic surgeon to see what would work best for you.

Gary D. Breslow, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Restylane under the eyes

The longevity of Restylane depends on multiple factors including location of injection and variability amongst patients.  Generally under the last, it will tend to last longer and can last up to 12-18 months.  In other parts of the face, its effects are more short lived.

Kimberly Lee, MD

How long do Restylane injections for dark under eye circles last

Normally Restylane lasts approximately 9-12 months after injection.  Under the eyes it can potentially last much longer than that, up to 18 months.  The duration depends on a number of things, though.  In smokers and people involved in strenuous exercise regularly (such as marathon runners), fillers like Restylane last significantly less time.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon