How to Alleviate Swelling on Lips After Restylane?

I had Restylane injected in my lips yesterday I have lots of swelling i was told the majority of this would reduce over night but it hasn't. What can I do? I'm becoming very anxious.

Swelling after restylane in lips

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day.
This is due to all the swelling that ensues. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day.
It can be 'oh my gosh' my lips are so swollen! It could also be 'oh my gosh' I love my lips even more than yesterday. Either way, the swelling may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Restylane and lip swelling

Restylane injected into the lips can cause swelling for 3 to 5 days, longer if bruising is present.  Intermittent cold packs will help.  You could also try taking an antihistamine if you do not have any contraindications, although it works best if taken a few hours before the injections.  Try it next time.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lip Swelling After Restylane

As the other panel members reassured, swelling to the mouth area after receiving cosmetic dermal filler treatments is so common that it is expected.  Intermitten icing beginning, not only after the treatment, but during the treatment is a very basic but excellent way to control and reduce swelling.  Be certain to not massage the areas as this will exacerbate the problem.  In our experience, most patients will turn the corner around day four post-treatment.   If the swelling does not appear to be resolving gradually as each day passes, contact your practitioner for further instructions.

Planning treatments such as these around your social calendar will help minimize the anxiety that may come with unexpected bruising and/or swelling.  Please see below link for suggestions on what to do prior to receiving injectable treatments to minimize negative reactions.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lip swelling after Restylane

The best way to alleviate is it is to avoid it. I do not make light of your issue but in in the interest of education, a full response is in order.

Swelling may be due to a reaction to the filler, to the injector hitting a blood vessel or a combination of both.

To blunt the inflammatory response, we try and use 3 doses of Celebrex (just after the procedure and daily for 2 days after wards). The problem is that the drug cannot be given to people with Sulfa allergies. Swelling can be somewhat alleviated with ice for 24 hours, if needed.

All this swelling WILL come down. You may not be convinced but ask anyone who was ever hit in the lip and they will confirm this.

When you are happy with your results, the anxiety associated with the swelling will be a memory. But - don't forget next time to see if you can get your Celebrex (I am not sure what the Aussie equivalent of this Cox2 inhibitor is) and to ice after wards.

Cheer up. You are going to be OK.

Swelling is very normal

Swelling is a normal response to Restylane injection and can last from 2-5 days depending on the amount of material placed, the technique used and the patient's own response. Intermittent ice to the lips will help a bit with the swelling but it's truly TIME that is the only real treatment. Be patient, I'm sure it will look great when the swelling subsides.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon