How to Reduce Swelling and Bruises on Lips After Restylane?

I have had Restylane injections in my lips yesterday, it is still very much swollen and bruised. How long will this last?

I look terrible, and am very worried about going out in public. It has been almost 24hrs since the treatment and I see no reduction in swelling. Is there a way to speed up the reduction of swelling?

Side Effects- Restylane injected into lips

Lips are one of the most sensitive areas to inject with Hyaluronic Acid. Swelling tends to last a few days after treatment to where bruising can last 7 to 10 days. Swelling of the lips tends to be the worst in the first 48 hours after you inject them.   Ice can help to reduce swelling post procedure- try to ice as much as you can.  Also, for future reference you may want to consider Arnica tablets 5 days prior to your procedure- this will help to significantly reduce swelling and bruising. 
If the swelling is severe, some dermatologists may use low dose prednisone for about 3 days to reduce swelling.
The good news is that Restylane works, and its safety record has been clinically documented and supported by robust clinical studies spanning over 10 years. Furthermore, since 1996, over seven million Restylane treatments have been successfully performed worldwide. Restylane is one of the most tried and tested dermal fillers and is recognized as the benchmark for safety.

Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising & Swelling with Restylane - Prevention and Intervention

Using cosmetic dermal fillers in the mouth area can lead to a very pleasing outcome. However, bruising is not uncommon. We believe in educating patients prior to their treatments on things they can do, or not do, to help minimize or avoid bruising. Not only can bruising in the mouth be a problem, but swelling as well. Check with your physician or the link below to find helpful hints to prepare you for an injection treatment. If the bruising/swelling already occurred, below are some suggestions:

*Avoid massaging after injections because this can lead to more swelling or even lead to delayed bruising.

*Cold compresses such as frozen pea bags are very helpful within the first 48 hours - intermittent icing.

*Notify your practitioner of your condition so that they may be made aware and have an opportunity to make suggestions.

*Contact your practitioner if the swelling is not progressively resolving and/or it is getting progressively worse.

*Early intervention goes a long ways in minimizing this response. Make certain that your injector uses a slow, gentle technique, provides icing throughout the procedure for comfort and to minimize bruising/swelling.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Prepare for swelling after lip injections -

Your response is very normal and expected.  The lips swell from the trauma of the injection, as well as from the bruising and the product.  The swelling usually peaks within 24 hours and then starts to go down over the next several days.  It can take more than a week for all the swelling to go away.

You can speed things along by sleeping on several pillows and keeping your head elevated.  Also, after your next lip injection, icing the lips will keep them from swelling quite as much. 

How to effectively reduce bruising and swelling after injectables

Bruising after Restylane occurs when the needle hits tiny blood vessels hidden underneath the patient’s skin, and swelling is the body’s natural response to an injury - in this case, by the needle. It’s important to note that, no matter how experienced an injector may be, there is always the potential for bruising and swelling - however, to an extent, the amount of bruising and swelling seen can be minimized through appropriate pre- and post-treatment instruction.

As one example, if they wish, patients may be instructed to begin taking Arnica - shown to decrease such effects as bruising - internally prior to their appointment. It is also advised that patients avoid any food, drink, supplement or medication that can thin the blood a few days prior to their appointment, as these can increase the severity of bruising.

After treatment, diligent patients should continue to avoid blood thinners and physical activity. Intermittent icing will help to reduce swelling dramatically within the first 24 to 48 hours. If swelling is experienced, it is likely to peak on the second to third day after treatment before it begins to go down. Bruising can last anywhere from seven to 10 days.

Timing is important. I always advise my patients to plan their treatments in advance of any event or outing. This means that they should not be getting injectables done the day before their wedding or a big photo shoot because, while I will do my best as an injector to ensure they do not experience severe bruising and swelling, it is always a possibility when a needle is being used.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and Swelling Common after Lip Injections

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. By then the swelling  and bruising will subside and any unevenness can be gently massaged and mobilized. If the fillers  "travels" in the mid -lip, it can be smoothed but is best done by the provider. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. It will resolve regardless! We also advise avoiding such anti-coagulants as aspirin, ibuprofen , green tea and fish oils.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Lip augmentation

It looks like you are bruised. This is a common issue with all injections. Apply some ice and this will go away soon. Also you should be able to used lipstick to cover up the bruising. In the future you may consider taking an herbal supplement such as Arnica before having the injections. This may help minimize bruising. Good luck!

Bruising and swelling after lip injections

Swelling is entirely to be expected after Restylane injections and also most other lip filler injections. It can take between 1-5 days for swelling to go down. Ice packs help as do anti-inflammatory tablets you can buy over the counter. Some physicians may prescribe a short course of steroids to reduce the swelling.

Bruising is alway unfortunate but is a common event as the lips are highly vascular. There is little evidence that anytime works to help accelerate the healing on lips.

It is always advise to schedule a follow up consultation with your practitioner 1 week post treatment.

How to minimize swelling and bruising after lip Injections

The best way to reduce swelling is to begin using ice immediately following the injection, for 10-15 min, every couple of hours, for the first 48 hours. Sleeping elevated, avoiding cardiovascular exercise, and avoiding heat or the sun will prevent the swelling from worsening. Arnica Montana can be used prior to the injection and up to one week after to help the swelling resolve. 

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing Swelling and Bruising

The best way to prevent  bruising of the lips is to avoid aspirin and NSAIDs beforehand . Ice application and avoidance of exercise for the remainder of the day will help as well. A number of patients use Arnica and Bromelain before and after the treatment and there is data to show it is helpful. Minimizing the number of injections by the physician is helpful as well. Swelling is a different issue because this may something to do with the choice of product being used. Restylane has used for many years and been well received.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Restylane!

Restylane silk is a great product of choice for the lips and around your lip area! Restylane silk will deliver those fuller lips you are looking for and smooth the lines around your mouth. After injecting filler especially the sensitive area around the lips you will be a swollen for 24-48 hours. This is very normal!  So plan to ice those areas and use your arnica medication! I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician