How to Reduce Swelling and Bruises on Lips After Restylane?

I have had Restylane injections in my lips yesterday, it is still very much swollen and bruised. How long will this last?

I look terrible, and am very worried about going out in public. It has been almost 24hrs since the treatment and I see no reduction in swelling. Is there a way to speed up the reduction of swelling?

Side Effects- Restylane injected into lips

Lips are one of the most sensitive areas to inject with Hyaluronic Acid. Swelling tends to last a few days after treatment to where bruising can last 7 to 10 days. Swelling of the lips tends to be the worst in the first 48 hours after you inject them.   Ice can help to reduce swelling post procedure- try to ice as much as you can.  Also, for future reference you may want to consider Arnica tablets 5 days prior to your procedure- this will help to significantly reduce swelling and bruising. 
If the swelling is severe, some dermatologists may use low dose prednisone for about 3 days to reduce swelling.
The good news is that Restylane works, and its safety record has been clinically documented and supported by robust clinical studies spanning over 10 years. Furthermore, since 1996, over seven million Restylane treatments have been successfully performed worldwide. Restylane is one of the most tried and tested dermal fillers and is recognized as the benchmark for safety.

Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising & Swelling with Restylane - Prevention and Intervention

Using cosmetic dermal fillers in the mouth area can lead to a very pleasing outcome. However, bruising is not uncommon. We believe in educating patients prior to their treatments on things they can do, or not do, to help minimize or avoid bruising. Not only can bruising in the mouth be a problem, but swelling as well. Check with your physician or the link below to find helpful hints to prepare you for an injection treatment. If the bruising/swelling already occurred, below are some suggestions:

*Avoid massaging after injections because this can lead to more swelling or even lead to delayed bruising.

*Cold compresses such as frozen pea bags are very helpful within the first 48 hours - intermittent icing.

*Notify your practitioner of your condition so that they may be made aware and have an opportunity to make suggestions.

*Contact your practitioner if the swelling is not progressively resolving and/or it is getting progressively worse.

*Early intervention goes a long ways in minimizing this response. Make certain that your injector uses a slow, gentle technique, provides icing throughout the procedure for comfort and to minimize bruising/swelling.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Lips usually become swollen , reducing these effects.

I want to try to prevent bruising, so I often tell patients not to take supplements that can increase bleeding. These are vitamin E, Gingo biloba, garlic. I also encourage patients to take oral arnica 3 days before the treatment and not to drink any alcohol, or take any anti- inflammatory medications like motrin. I also give patients clear expectations so they can assume that they will have swelling. I usually always tell them to plan to have bruising. Its unpredictable sometimes, and the swelling can very from patient to patient. So I like to encourage patient's to plan a couple of days just in case this should occur. I also feel that using a Cannula to fill the lips has decreased bruising on lips because the cannula has a dull tip and does not shear the blood vessels in the lip. It also does not cause as much discomfort to do lips. Swelling often occurs because of the lidocaine, and or multiple needle sticks. When using the cannula again I only need to make 2 needle sticks, one on either side of the lips. From this same incision I can fill the top and bottom lip on one side and then from the other incision I fill the other half of the lip. Less trauma means less bruising. 

Cheryl Perlis, MD, FACOG
Lake Bluff OB/GYN

Prepare for swelling after lip injections -

Your response is very normal and expected.  The lips swell from the trauma of the injection, as well as from the bruising and the product.  The swelling usually peaks within 24 hours and then starts to go down over the next several days.  It can take more than a week for all the swelling to go away.

You can speed things along by sleeping on several pillows and keeping your head elevated.  Also, after your next lip injection, icing the lips will keep them from swelling quite as much. 

Lip Treatments and Keys to Reduce Bruising

One of the new advances that decreases bruising is using micro-cannulas rather than sharp needles for the injection treatment. An experienced injector can talk to you about this option!

Some things to avoid two weeks prior to and immediately after your injection to reduce the risks of bruising are:
*Ibuprofen and Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Aleeve or Naprosyn
*Fish oils and other Omega 3 fats
*Herbal supplements such as green tea, Gingko Biloba and Vit E supplement

Using Arnica tablets 3 days before and after your treatment - 3 times per day will also help reduce the amount of bruising and improve healing time.

#bruisingprevention   #lipbruses  #Rstylanelips

LIp Bruising after Restylane injections

In the future, the best way to minimize bruising - especially for sensitive areas like lips or under the eyes, is to avoid medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen ( Motrin and Advil) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Alleve or Naprosyn that might be taken for sports injuries . Other culprits of bleeding and bruising tendencies are green tea, flax seed oil, Omega -3s and alcohol or caffeine intake  the day before your treatment! Head elevation and icing (never put ice directly on the skin), avoidance of lifting heavy weights or strenuous activities for the first 3 days are also helpful.Arnica oral tablets may reduce the degree and length of time of bruising and can be taken 3 -5 days following the treatment.

#bruisingliptreatment  #bruisedliptreatments  #lipbruisingtreatment

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Resylane lip swelling

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day.
This is due to all the swelling that ensues.  I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day.
It can be 'oh my gosh' my lips are so swollen!   It could also be 'oh my gosh' I love my lips even more than yesterday.  Either way, the swelling may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Reducing swelling and bruising

The lips tend to bruise and swell a little more than the rest of the face. However, in general there should be very little swelling/bruising for 80% of patients if they follow the post-injection instructions and take Arnica before and after treatment. Please refrain from vigorous physical activity and don’t touch your lips too much.

This should be temporary.

It’s unusual for patients to develop significant bruising and swelling following the use of injectable fillers. Never the less this complication may occasionally occur following these injections. Bleeding, bruising and swelling aren’t usually related to the filler material, but instead are related to the injection technique and the patients’ clotting mechanism.
When this situation arises bruising and swelling usually resolve in 7 to 10 days, but may last as long as three weeks following the procedure. Under these circumstances, anything that minimizes the inflammatory response might speed the process. Ice and steroid treatments might be helpful for this reason.
It’s important to discuss this issue with your specialist. It’s also important to understand that although this event was unfortunate, it should only be a temporary problem.

Swelling and bruising of the lips after Restylane injections, Connecticut

Swelling and bruising of the lips after Hyaluronic Acid injections, such as, Restylane, is common. Although everyone will experience different degrees, it can be expected. The best post treatment plan is to use cool compresses, and avoid alcohol use for the first 24-48 hours. I usually recommend taking Advil after the first 48 hours and do not rub or massage the area, as that could lead to more swelling and bruising.  The swelling should improve in a few days! For patients that are prone excessive swelling and bruising, I recommend them to avoid anti-inflammitory medications for about 7-10 days before any injectable procedure.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon