What would be better for an obese person who can't lose weight through diet and excise alone? CoolSculpting or liposuction?

I've read all about both and they both say that you should be near your ideal weight. Well what's the point then? Are there any fat removal surgeries out there for people with special circumstances such as mine? I'm a 28 year old female who has been dieting and exercising since I was 12. I gain a thousand times faster than I lose. The fat on my body won't leave. I want something that will remove that fat so I can continue busting my butt to maintain it

Thank you for your question. We recommend patients to be at their ideal weight as the outcome is much better. However, if you would like to undergo a procedure then I would recommend visiting a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about different procedures, and determine what works best for you. Regards,

Weight loss surgery

Thank you for your question and honesty.  Coolsculpting and liposuction and not good procedures to help someone lose weight.  There are great options out there for weight loss surgery.  I would recommend a consultation with a Bariatric Surgeon in your area to see if you are a good candidate for weight loss surgery.  This type of doctor specializes in surgeries that can help you lose weight.  Once you are at or near your goal weight, then there might be plastic surgery procedures that can help contour the extra skin or fat.  Best of luck!

CoolSculpting/Liposuction and Weight Loss

CoolSculpting and Liposuction are not weight loss procedures.  They can contour and reduce subcutaneous fat to help with your appearance, but do not guarantee any weight loss.  It would be best to consult with a weight loss expert and discuss your weight goals with them.  Then, if you get closer to your ideal weight, you can consider CoolSculpting and Liposuction.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Liposuction Candidate? Weight Loss?

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool, it can be used once you have had weight loss and would like fine contouring. Coolsculpting is used to target small areas of fat with a reduction of 20%-25% per treatment and is not used as a weight loss treatment. I suggest you see a weight loss expert and discuss alternatives. Best, Dr. Emer

CoolSculpting and Liposuction

Neither CoolSculpting or liposuction are weight loss procedures. They are body contouring procedures. CoolSculpting works best on patients with pockets of fat that they would like to eliminate. Most patients do not see a difference in weight after the CoolSculpting procedure. If obesity is a problem, I would first consult with a bariatric surgeon about a weight loss procedure. Once you are closer to your ideal weight, then a body contouring procedure maybe more appropriate. I hope this helps. 

Coolsculpting for weight loss

You are correct- both liposuction and Coolsculpting are ideally for patients that are at or near their goal weight.  Coolsculpting more specifically, is best for an area that is well defined and recalcitrant to diet and exercise. (love handle, muffin top, bra fat) Neither procedure is about weight loss.  The fat being targeted is 'fluffy' so to speak and even in cases where people lose inches the weight change is minute or non-existent.  If you genuinely feel that despite your best efforts you can still not lose weight, consider talking to your regular or primary care doctor about bloodwork, testing and perhaps getting on a medically supervised program.  Coolsculpting and Liposuction are about fine tuning for the most part, not significant weight loss.
Best of luck

Grant Stevens, MD