Best Remedy for Swelling After Tumescent Liposuction?

What is the best thing to do after Tumescent Liposuction for swelling?

Wear your compression garments and drink plenty of fluids.

It’s normal to notice some swelling after tumescent liposuction, partially as the result of any remaining tumescent solution that’s still present in the tissue. The body also swells as part of the natural healing response. Wearing your compression garment should help expel excess fluids faster. It’s also a good idea to drink plenty of clear fluids (water or herbal tea, not soda or coffee) and avoid high-sodium and salty foods. Eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and staying mildly active to promote healthy circulation are also key for keeping swelling to a minimum after lipo.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Liposuction?

Swelling is part of the healing process.  I ask my liposuction patients to wear a compression garment for 4 weeks post op surgery to help with the swelling.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results. 

Best Wishes.

How to control swelling after tumescent liposuction

It is very important to wear a good compression garment for at least 6 weeks. It would also help to start arnica montana prior to surgery and continue as directed. You need to be careful of not over doing things, your body is going to tell you if you are. If you notice you are starting to get swelling, it is time to get off your feet. Either sit or lie down and elevate your legs.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Time

The swelling after tumescent liposuction really shouldn't be that bad if you are wearing an appropriately tight garment. Immediately after surgery I use Topi foam to add compression and significantly reduce swelling. This is worn for two days then the foam is removed and the garment is worn for 6 weeks. If you're wearing a good garment the swelling should be fully gone in 2 weeks. Remember your dietary intake also contributes to the swelling so watch the amount of salt you ingest.

Compression is key to swelling after liposuction

Liposuction will cause a bruise over a large area and the key to controlling swelling is a well fitted compression garment. Initially the garment will be very tight as it keeps swelling under control, and will noticeable loosen as you progress in your recovery. As the garment become looser we transition to a very snug Spanx which is more comfortable for daily wear and work.

peterejohnsonmd

Swelling After Liposuction

The best thing you can do post Tumescent Liposuction is to wear your compression garment as instructed by your doctor. We also advise patients to start on massage techniques a couple weeks post-op. This can be as simple as just hand massaging the areas, or we suggest to our patients to purchase a small trim size paint roller to help those harder to reach places. Our office provides a treatment called Exilis that uses radio frequency heat to target stubborn fatty areas as well as tighten the skin. Some patients will choose to do a treatment or two of these post Liposuction just to help reduce swelling faster as well. Overall, I guess it is just a time thing. Of course you know that everyone's body heals at different rates and although we definitely want you up and moving around, keep in mind that the more you're up, the more swelling you will probably have at the end of the day. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

Thank you for your question! Swelling is an entirely normal part of the postop course.  The majority of the swelling is gone in the first two weeks.  Minor swelling persists much longer - up to 3 months or longer!  A compressive garment is essential and should be worn 24/7 (except for bathing) for the 1st 4 to 6 weeks postop.  Don't worry - it will resolve!
Nicolas M. Hynes, MSc, MD, FRCS(C)

Swelling after tumescent liposuction

Wear your compression garment as instructed by your surgeon, and be patient. Remember that in the beginning, although fat has been removed, you will have swelling just like with any surgical procedure. You should be active, but too much activity early on could bring on more swelling. The results after liposuction gradually improve over weeks, even months.

Swelling after tumescent liposuction

You should follow your surgeon's instructions closely. I usually recommend light activity to keep the blood circulation going, drinking plenty of water, and wearing your compression garment. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last for a couple of months. You can assess your results at about the three or four month mark.  

Swelling after liposuction can be related to activity level

I've noticed that my tumescent liposuction patients tend to have prolonged swelling when they return to exercise activities quickly after surgery. This varies based on the individual, so there is no real recommendation I can give except that one should wear their compressive garment more often than not for at least 6 weeks after the procedure.