Wearing Compression Garment After Tumescent Liposuction?

How long should you wear compression garments? I am having a lot of swelling if I don't wear one. Its been 19 days since the procedure. What should I do to decrease swelling and water retention?

Compression garment after tumescence liposuction and liposculpting with #DrMarcDuPere #Toronto plastic surgeon

Thank you for your question regarding tumescence liposuction and garment.

There is no formal rule for the garment but most of us plastic surgeons recommend wearing the garment for about 4 weeks.  But you can remove it daily, starting 5-7 days post-op, for shower purposes.  That is what I do with my #Toronto patients at Visage Clinic.  It helps with the swelling and bruising and provide you with some pain control as it 'splints' the treated areas.

One has to be careful though as too tight a garment can produce permanent indentations and serious swelling beyond the garment edges.

I always provide my Toronto patients with 2 garments so you can wash one and still have one to wear.

Those garments do not go in the washing machine:  hand-wash and hang to dry.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon

Voted TOP plastic surgery Clinic in Toronto for 2013 and 2014 by @TopChoiceAwards

Voted TOP Cosmetic Clinic in Toronto for 2014 by @TopChoiceAwards

visageclinic.com/patient-resources/media.cfm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Compression Garment after SAL

I advise my patient to wear the compression garment for 24 hours a day for the first 2 weeks after surgery and 12 hours a day for the next 2 weeks after surgery. The compression garment will help with the swelling and also with skin tightening. At this point you may look into getting lymphatic massage as the garment will probably not help much. Also, I would advise you to decrease your activity level because this can lead to more swelling during the recovery period. Good luck.

Compression Garment after SAL

Garment

Usually compression garment is used 4 to 5 weeks after liposuction.  Garment may be removed after 4 to 6  days for shower.  It is common to have swelling initially and this is the reason to wear the garment.  After the initial 30 days,  as patients return to their normal exercise schedule,  sometimes swelling may return and the garment can be used during the initial return to physical activity. Hope this helps.

Garment

How Long to Wear Compression Garment after Liposuction

Thanks so much for your question!  Every surgeon has their own preference and protocol on the wearing of compression garments after liposuction.  For my patients, I ask them to wear the compression garment 23 hours a day for the first two weeks, and then 12 hours for another 4 weeks.  Compression garments help with swelling, shaping, and smoothing things out.  Minimizing salt intake and strenuous exercise and activity can also help with swelling.  Hope this helps...best of luck!

Joyce C. Chen, MD, MPH, FACS

Joyce C. Chen, MD, MPH, FACS

Limit your salt intake and activity

In addition to compression garments it is important to limit sodium intake and avoid excessive exertion. Most patients outgrow need for compression in 3 weeks. Using garments beyond that time is often optional.

Limit your salt intake and activity

Compression and rest

I suggest that the patients wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks after liposuction.  If you minimize your physical activity and wear compression that would be the best ways to reduce the swelling.

Compression and rest

Compression garment after tumescent liposuction

You should ask your surgeon about this, however I generally recommend patients wear their compression garment day and night for 3 weeks then another 3 weeks during the day only. Reduce salt intake and drink plenty of fluids to encourage going to the washroom regularly. This can help.

Compression garment

I recommend my patients wear the compression garment day and night for the first 4 weeks, and then during the day for 2 more weeks, unless the areas treated was small.  The garment aids in controlling the swelling, assist with skin tightening, and does make it feel better. Massage can also help with controlling swelling.

Compression garment

Compression Garments Following Liposuction

Patients who undergo tumescent liposuction can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure.  In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post- operative period.  Although each patient should be considered individually, we generally recommend three to four weeks of compression following liposuction.

Compression minimizes swelling and decreases post-operative pain.  It helps to remodel the soft tissue by collapsing tunnels created by the liposuction cannula during the procedure.  Compression contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.

Swelling and water retention following tumescent liposuction can be reduced with compression massage, exercise and low salt diets.  These maneuvers ultimately improve the post-operative experience by minimizing swelling and discomfort following this procedure.

Compression garments after liposuction

Compression garments help to control the post op swelling. I advise my patients to wear them 24x7 for 4 weeks, and for 12 hours over the next 4 weeks. Our post op protocol also involves anti inflammatory / anti edema meds for a week post op & lymphatic massage. The massage sessions are started after 7-10 days following the procedure.

Compression garments after liposuction