How many Fraxel Restore treatments is too much? I've had 5 treatments at the highest level that the machine can go.

I've had 5 treatments for acne scarring with the machine at the highest level, but the acne scars are still present, though slightly less visible. Should I continue to have more treatments in the hopes of reducing the scar further or is there a limit to how much improve I will see with a few more treatments?

Fractional treatments to treat acne scarring

It can take upwards of 6 months to see all improvements in collagen (which is what is repairing the scarring) from each treatment. I'm not sure when you did the 5 treatments, but they take time to work. Collagen starts to produce at about 30 days out, and will continue to develop and grow for months and months. I've had some acne scarring patients who look better at even 8 months than they did at 6 months. So, if you'd had 5 treatments, I'd lay off for awhile, not because it's unsafe, but to see what repairs in the next 6 months' time.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fraxel laser for acne scars

Fraxel laser is a great laser for acne scars. Depending on the depth of the scars it can take many treatments. New collagen continues to build months after the Fraxel is performed. Patience since it can take time to see the ultimate results. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in Fraxel for the best cosmetic results.