Fraxel vs Clear + Brilliant Over 50? (photos)

I have typical over 50 skin: some laxity, few sun spots, large pores, a few marks from blemishes but not acne scars. One derm recommended Clear + Brilliant, one suggested just get started with a few Fraxel sessions and use Clear + Brilliant for maintenance. Considering the time and costs, I am inclined to go with Clear + Brilliant but not if I should just start with Fraxel. Anyone want to break the tie?

Fraxel laser versus the Clear + Brilliant laser

You would benefit more from the Fraxel Dual laser which would help stimulate collagen, remove sun spots and refine pores more than the Clear + Brilliant laser which you could use for maintenance treatments.  If you would just like more of a glow and improved texture without much downtime, you could try the Clear + Brilliant laser instead.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser and Clear and Brilliant

We have both lasers in our practice, but I would tend to lean towards the Fraxel combined with a q-switched alex laser for the most improvement in one session. I have included a link so you can see what I mean.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel better for rejuvenation

I love the Clear & Brilliant but I don't think the clear & brilliant is strong enough to give results in older or more sun damaged skin. It would not remove sun spots to your satisfaction. I agree that it is better for very young patients or for some maintenance after a series of other fraxel treatments such as the 1550 or 1927 wavelength (Fraxel re:store or dual).

Fraxel versus Clear & Brilliant laser

I love both my Fraxel Laser and Clear & Brilliant Laser.  For immediate results I prefer the Fraxel laser since it is like a "magic eraser" for sun spots.  However, the Clear & Brilliant works well for patients who do not want any "down time" but it can take 6 of the Clear & Brilliant treatments to get the same results as one Fraxel Laser.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Fraxel combination

I agree, I think that Fraxel is the way to go. I often combine this laser (1927 Fraxel) in our high density setting, if needed I either add IPL - BBL (Pulse Fraxel) or even QSL - q switch for harder to treat brown spots. 

Then, if needed maintain with Clear+ Brilliant, or even chemical peels like glycolic, lactic , vitamin A every month. I personally think investing in a treatment that will work first time is best, then look at cheaper treatments to maintain. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist