What Qualifies Someone to Inject This Radiesse?

What should one know about a procedure and who is performing it before getting filler (like Radiesse) in the face?

Doctor Answers 11

Who is qualified to inject Radiesse?

Excellent question. The manufacturer will sell the product to any licensed physician. However, as a patient, it's important for you to select a doctor who is knowledgeable about facial anatomy and skilled in injecting----and, even more significantly, has the ability to know when and in which areas the filler will be beneficial-----and when it's inappropriate or too much. I would not want to be injected by anyone other than a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Often, I find that patients call seeking a particular filler or Botox without understanding its purpose because they are reacting to media hype or information provided by their friends. I hate to see patients wasting money on treatments which will not be effacious. Also not only should the physician be trained in an appropriate specialty but you should definitely be a wise consumer and inquire as to the source of the filler material. Did the physician purchase it from the manufacturer or buy it at a lower cost outside the US? I cannot emphasize the safety issue enough. My office receives faxes literally on a daily basis from third party sellers with "gray market" goods and throws every one into the circular file! Patient safety should be the paramount concern. There are nuances to injecting filler and I personally don't believe that these can be appreciated by someone who hasn't devoted his or her career to the study and treatment of the aging face.

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews


Radiesse is a long lasting filler about one year to one year and a half.it si gradually absorbed by the body. it is good filler for deep major lines and filling deep tissue. Lumpiness can happen and redness, this is related to the expertise of the injector and where and how superficial it is injected.

In my opinion ONLY WELL TRAINED PHYSICIAN IN THEIR SPECIALTY SHOULD INJECT ANY FILLER. A knowledge of the detailed facial anatomy is manditory. Not all specialties have working knowledge of that anatomy. Training an injector over a weekend is not enough.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Qualifications to inject radiesse

Any physician who has a medical license can purchase radiesse. The training and degree of the injector varies from state to state. However, minimal requirements are not high. For an excellent injection which is truly customized to you, you will need to go to an expert and experienced physician injector. Do your homework, and consult with several injectors to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Physicians that inject Radiesse

I would recommend Radiesse be performed by any board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in injecting all types of fillers.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Beware of the bargains

I tell patients to beware of the bargains. Only a qualified , well trained  plastic surgeon or dermatologist with a good eye should inject fillers. Many can be trained to inject but unless you can see where to put the product the result will not be optimal. Unless you know the anatomy well and are experienced with fillers you should not use them. There are many nurses , dentists and other less qualified individuals out there that are offering "bargin fillers". Be aware of who is treating you as this is your face and the filler will be around for a while. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Who should inject wrinkle fillers like Radiesse?

Radiesse (and similar fillers like Juvederm and Restylane) should be injected by a board certified physician, although there are many physicians who supervise aestheticians or nurses to inject fillers and Botox or Dysport. Radiesse can last a year or more and cannot be dissolved or removed, so make sure you know and trust your injector's credentials and experience.

Donna Rich, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Who is qualified to inject Radiesse?

Who is allowed to inject Radiesse and who is qualified are very different questions.

The companies will sell products including Radiesse to anyone that has a medical license. This means that pathologists can purchase this even if they have never treated a live person in their career.

Who is qualified to inject Radiesse is someone that is trained to do these injections and that understands the anatomy of the areas. They are usually Facial plastic surgeons, dermatologists, plastic surgeons and oculoplastic surgeons. There are a lots of other doctors injecting this product but they dont really have the skills to do this. Without the training, these people will typically follow cookbooks and make all their patients look the same, frequently like dolls.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

How to choose your Radiesse injector

Radiesse, unlike Sculptra, will allow any physician or "MD Spa Director" to purchase and inject their product with minimal training, if any. Always ask about the experience of the injecting physician and make sure they have all of the "tools" to use, such as all of the various facial fillers (Sculptra, Radiesse, Perlane, Restylane, and Juvederm) that are approved for use in the United States. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.


Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Who Is Qualified To Inject Radiesse

You should always go to a trained professional.  Dermatologists would be the best place to start.  There are many RN's, nurse practitioners, and estheticians who inject Radiesse as well as other fillers; however you should check their credentials and their experience before you have non MD's inject you.   Some Plastic Surgeons also inject fillers and would be well trained to do so.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Qualification for Injecting Skin Fillers (Radiesse, Juvederm, Restylane)

The law varies from state to state on who CAN physically inject fillers, be it an aesthetician, RN or a physician. As a result there are many salons where a MD "director" is supposedly supervising the salons injectors as they inject fillers, Botox and apply lasers to people's faces. This is quite common and generates billions of dollars to Allergan, Medicis, salon owners and these doctors. Personally, But that was not your question. To paraphrase you, you asked who SHOULD be injecting Radiesse. If you want the best possible result I would research your doctor and go ONLY to a Plastic surgeon or Cosmetic Dermatologist who PERSONALLY did his own filler injections. You may pay more but you will assure yourself of the most educated and capable treatment. Good Luck. Peter A Aldea, MD

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 108 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.