Post Juvederm Bruising- How Long Will It Last? Can I Speed Healing?

I had two syringes of Juvederm two days ago. My doctor said nothing about avoiding aspirin, alcohol, vitamins or NSAIDS and now I have very obvious bruising around my mouth and nasolabial folds! I can't even cover it with makeup so I am very unhappy with the results. My question now is how long can I expect this horrible bruising to last and is there anything I can do to speed the healing?

Ocumend and other arnica montana containing products help reduce bruising

Arnica montana products, such as Ocumend patches, help prevent or reduce bruising by driving a very potent form of Arnica M. directly where it is needed.  They are hydrogel patches that stick to your skin, which you would wear during the day after your treatment and that evening while sleeping.  My Orange County filler patients love them

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising and healing after Juvederm treatment

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. I always tell my patients to avoid aspirin, alcohol, NSAIDs, herbals (G's: Ginkgo, Garlic, Ginseng) at least one week before treatment. If a bruise develops, it usually takes about a week to resolve. The best advice is to find a concealer, such as Dermablend, to hide the bruise during this time. Hang in there! Miriam Hanson MD.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Bruising from Juvederm is normal

Bruising from any fillers is normal, and really should be expected. I'm sorry your doctor didn't let you know this because it is something people should know and be prepared for. Remember you are putting a gel formula into your skin, so bruising and swelling can occur quite easily! If you continue to ice, don't press on it!, and avoid aspirin that will definitely help. You can also take Arnica, which is a natural topical or pill formulation that is supposed to help with swelling and bruising. Its effects are kind of minimal, especially if not started prior to the injections, but hey, it may help. You can get Arnica for about $15 at a natural store or Whole Foods. Bruising should get better over the next few days and be gone by about 7-10 days. You should be able to apply makeup easily as the bruising subsides and gets to that yellowish coloring. Sorry you weren't prepared for this.

Juvederm Bruising

Depending on the location and the extent of the bruising the discoloration can last several days to a week. However, there a number of ways to minimize the bruising. Avoiding aspirin and the NSAIDs beforehand is very important. After the injection on one side the assistant or the patient can apply pressure to the area while the other side is being injected. Minimizing the number of skin punctures when the filler is injected is another way. Some patients do have superficial veins close to the surface of the skin and trying to avoid injury to them is helpful. Finally, applying ice and avoiding exercise for the rest of the day will lessen the chance of bruising. Bromelain and Arnica have been shown to be helpful in minimizing the bruising. There is also special cover up makeup that is helpful is certain circumstances.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Bruising And Healing After Juvederm Treatment

Thank you for your question. Having some bruising and swelling after filler injection is common. This can typically take up 2 weeks to resolve. I would give it another week for the swelling to resolve under your eye. If this does not improve your injector can dissolve it with hyaluronidase. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Duration of Juvederm

Thank you for our question. bruising and swelling is always expected with any injection. It is true to avoid any Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Fish oils, or any herbal supplement. This can enhance the bruising. Bruising will last differently on everyone. There is a product Arnica that help with the bruising. Next visit mention Arnica. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Post Juvederm

Bruising can last anywhere from 5-10 days depending on the severity. In the meantime, makeup concealer is a great option for camouflaging the bruising. You may also try a homeopathic supplement called arnica that may help speed up the resolution of the bruising. Although bruising can sometimes be inevitable, it is a good idea to avoid those blood thinners at least a week prior to your injections and take arnica prophylactically as well.

John Diaz, MD

Bruising

Bruising is a common side effect of all injectables. Were you on any blood thinners? this can contribute to bruising. There are techniques I use at my office that can decrease bruising, however, usually bruising is something that cannot be predicted in both occurrence or severity. Typically the bruising should resolve in a week or so, however there are many factors that affect the severity and duration of bruising

Speed Up the Healing for bruising from Juvederm

Dear Skin Novice:The bruising can last 7-10 days depending on your current medical medical condition and medications.  A natural over the counter supplement called Arnica, can help speed up the recovery process.  All the best.

Avoiding Bruising --even After Injections

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. Avoiding over-the-counter anti-inflammatories such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils and the G's: garlic , ginseng and ginko and green teas will help to not prolong the bruising. 

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician