Post Juvederm Bruising- How Long Will It Last? Can I Speed Healing?

I had two syringes of Juvederm two days ago. My doctor said nothing about avoiding aspirin, alcohol, vitamins or NSAIDS and now I have very obvious bruising around my mouth and nasolabial folds! I can't even cover it with makeup so I am very unhappy with the results. My question now is how long can I expect this horrible bruising to last and is there anything I can do to speed the healing?

Bruising and healing after Juvederm treatment

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. I always tell my patients to avoid aspirin, alcohol, NSAIDs, herbals (G's: Ginkgo, Garlic, Ginseng) at least one week before treatment. If a bruise develops, it usually takes about a week to resolve. The best advice is to find a concealer, such as Dermablend, to hide the bruise during this time. Hang in there! Miriam Hanson MD.

Austin Dermatologist

Bruising from Juvederm is normal

Bruising from any fillers is normal, and really should be expected. I'm sorry your doctor didn't let you know this because it is something people should know and be prepared for. Remember you are putting a gel formula into your skin, so bruising and swelling can occur quite easily! If you continue to ice, don't press on it!, and avoid aspirin that will definitely help. You can also take Arnica, which is a natural topical or pill formulation that is supposed to help with swelling and bruising. Its effects are kind of minimal, especially if not started prior to the injections, but hey, it may help. You can get Arnica for about $15 at a natural store or Whole Foods. Bruising should get better over the next few days and be gone by about 7-10 days. You should be able to apply makeup easily as the bruising subsides and gets to that yellowish coloring. Sorry you weren't prepared for this.

Bruising

Bruising is a common side effect of all injectables. Were you on any blood thinners? this can contribute to bruising. There are techniques I use at my office that can decrease bruising, however, usually bruising is something that cannot be predicted in both occurrence or severity. Typically the bruising should resolve in a week or so, however there are many factors that affect the severity and duration of bruising

Speed Up the Healing for bruising from Juvederm

Dear Skin Novice:The bruising can last 7-10 days depending on your current medical medical condition and medications.  A natural over the counter supplement called Arnica, can help speed up the recovery process.  All the best.

Avoiding Bruising --even After Injections

My best advise to patients after lip augmentation, is that you will LOVE the look best in 2 weeks. Avoiding over-the-counter anti-inflammatories such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils and the G's: garlic , ginseng and ginko and green teas will help to not prolong the bruising. 

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Bruising can happen after filler injections

That's too bad that you weren't aware of those recommendations. Hang in there - the bruising should disappear within 1-2 weeks. A homeopathic remedy such as Arnica, which is available at most drug stores, can be applied topically to minimize bruising. Ice can also help.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Juvederm

Sorry to hear about the bruises.  In our practice, we ask patients to come back if they bruise, as we can break up the bruise to help it pass more quickly using intense pulse light and other treatments to stimulate the lymphatics.  I also recommend using Arnica as this can also help the bruise pass more quickly.

Bruising after Juvederm

I'm very sorry that you're experiencing bruising as a result of your recent treatment. Unfortunately the medications you were taking do increase the severity of postoperative bruising. It can take 1-2 weeks for bruising to resolve fully. I would not recommend the use of massage given that you recently had filler injections. Some patients have good luck with Arnica, an herbal supplement that is supposed to help clear bruising quicker.

Rachel Streu, MD

Can I speed the healing after Filler and Juvederm injections?

Thanks for the question, it is a great one.

There is no way to STOP bruising, but we can try. I recently wrote an editorial discussing this. I reviewed the literature and studies to see what works and what doesn't. I also go over ideas to help speed it up. I hope it helps.

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration for Post Juvederm Bruising

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. It is wise to avoid blood thinner prior to procedure. The duration of bruising should be about two weeks. Arnica may be a product to use to assist in the healing.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS