Post Juvederm Bruising- How Long Will It Last? Can I Speed Healing?

I had two syringes of Juvederm two days ago. My doctor said nothing about avoiding aspirin, alcohol, vitamins or NSAIDS and now I have very obvious bruising around my mouth and nasolabial folds! I can't even cover it with makeup so I am very unhappy with the results. My question now is how long can I expect this horrible bruising to last and is there anything I can do to speed the healing?

Ocumend and other arnica montana containing products help reduce bruising

Arnica montana products, such as Ocumend patches, help prevent or reduce bruising by driving a very potent form of Arnica M. directly where it is needed.  They are hydrogel patches that stick to your skin, which you would wear during the day after your treatment and that evening while sleeping.  My Orange County filler patients love them

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising and healing after Juvederm treatment

Bruising around the mouth and nose area is quite common after injections. I always tell my patients to avoid aspirin, alcohol, NSAIDs, herbals (G's: Ginkgo, Garlic, Ginseng) at least one week before treatment. If a bruise develops, it usually takes about a week to resolve. The best advice is to find a concealer, such as Dermablend, to hide the bruise during this time. Hang in there! Miriam Hanson MD.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Bruising And Healing After Juvederm Treatment

Thank you for your question. Having some bruising and swelling after filler injection is common. This can typically take up 2 weeks to resolve. I would give it another week for the swelling to resolve under your eye. If this does not improve your injector can dissolve it with hyaluronidase. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bruising after Juvederm

Sorry to hear about the bruises.  In our practice, we ask patients to come back if they bruise, as we can break up the bruise to help it pass more quickly using intense pulse light and other treatments to stimulate the lymphatics.  I also recommend using Arnica as this can also help the bruise pass more quickly.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Bruising from Juvederm is normal

Bruising from any fillers is normal, and really should be expected. I'm sorry your doctor didn't let you know this because it is something people should know and be prepared for. Remember you are putting a gel formula into your skin, so bruising and swelling can occur quite easily! If you continue to ice, don't press on it!, and avoid aspirin that will definitely help. You can also take Arnica, which is a natural topical or pill formulation that is supposed to help with swelling and bruising. Its effects are kind of minimal, especially if not started prior to the injections, but hey, it may help. You can get Arnica for about $15 at a natural store or Whole Foods. Bruising should get better over the next few days and be gone by about 7-10 days. You should be able to apply makeup easily as the bruising subsides and gets to that yellowish coloring. Sorry you weren't prepared for this.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Bruising after Juvederm

Bruising unfortunately can happen after filler injections, and some patients tend to bruise more than other generally - bruising can be minimized by avoidance of Aspirin and NSAIDS, and also with careful technique and ice after injection. 
If you are bruised, the good news is that it should resolve in a week or so. Arnica cream can help as well. Best of luck to you and be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor as well.

Kapil Saigal, MD, FACS
Winter Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after filler injection

First, please call your doctor if you have significant bruising.  Bruising can be treated at 2 to 3 days after injection using a vascular laser like the VBeam pulsed dye laser.  The laser light is absorbed by the blood cells that make up the bruise and break them up.  The bruise will look darker immediately after but by the next day the area will look more red than purple and then continue to fade.  The bruise is easier to cover and goes away faster.  

In the meantime, try a good coverup like Kat Von D concealer designed for tattoos.  It won't hide the bruises completely but will make them much less noticeable.  And next time you have filler planned, mark your calendar about 7 - 10 days before to stop any unnecessary blood thinners.  It isn't a necessity but will reduce your bruising.

I hope this answers your question. Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Juvederm Bruising

Depending on the location and the extent of the bruising the discoloration can last several days to a week. However, there a number of ways to minimize the bruising. Avoiding aspirin and the NSAIDs beforehand is very important. After the injection on one side the assistant or the patient can apply pressure to the area while the other side is being injected. Minimizing the number of skin punctures when the filler is injected is another way. Some patients do have superficial veins close to the surface of the skin and trying to avoid injury to them is helpful. Finally, applying ice and avoiding exercise for the rest of the day will lessen the chance of bruising. Bromelain and Arnica have been shown to be helpful in minimizing the bruising. There is also special cover up makeup that is helpful is certain circumstances.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Juvederm

Thank you for our question. bruising and swelling is always expected with any injection. It is true to avoid any Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Fish oils, or any herbal supplement. This can enhance the bruising. Bruising will last differently on everyone. There is a product Arnica that help with the bruising. Next visit mention Arnica. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Post Juvederm

Bruising can last anywhere from 5-10 days depending on the severity. In the meantime, makeup concealer is a great option for camouflaging the bruising. You may also try a homeopathic supplement called arnica that may help speed up the resolution of the bruising. Although bruising can sometimes be inevitable, it is a good idea to avoid those blood thinners at least a week prior to your injections and take arnica prophylactically as well.

John Diaz, MD