Can I possibly have elective boob enhancement after a heart transplant?

I had a heart transplant in december 2011 and have a pacemaker inserted whilst still admitted for transplant. I have been healthy since with no hospital admissions or complications or rejection episodes. Would this be a possibility? I would like to know before I speak with my cardiac team regarding a boob enchancement. kind Regards

Greetings

Thank you for your question. You will have to check with your heart Dr and you will need health check up before you do your surgery. 

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Sure it can be done!

Can it be done?  yes.  You just have to make sure EVERYONE is okay with it.  I've done elective surgery on kidney transplant patients before.  You have to be careful with your meds, but it can be done safely. It's probably best to see a plastic surgeon in the institution that takes care of your heart -- it's a good place to start anyway. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Elective cosmetic surgery after solid organ transplant?

There is no absolute contraindication to performing elective cosmetic procedures in transplant patients (including cardiac transplant).

As with any surgical candidate, his/her history must be carefully reviewed in order to ascertain whether or not the individual in question is healthy enough to undergo the procedure. Safety should be priority number 1.

The specific concerns surrounding a transplant patient center around the requisite immunosuppression and the associated risk of infection related complications. This regimen should be carefully evaluated and may need adjustment in the peri-op period in order to mitigate these risks.

The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and obtain medical clearance prior to surgery from a transplant specialist.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. If you obtain medical clearance from your transplant surgeon, then you may be a candidate for breast augmentation.  This surgery has been performed in many patients with organ transplants, but medical clearance is mandatory for safety.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast aug post transplant

I recently did a blog about cosmetic surgery in people who have had  a solid organ transplant such as a heart transplant and the study included over 500 procedures and the results show no significant increase in complications.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon