Sore breasts when waking up in the morning a year after breast augmentation

For the past month I've been waking up with sore breasts. I had a breast augmentation a year and a half ago. I have 500cc silicone implants u see the muscle. I've never felt this soreness before. I have gained 15 pounds since surgery. Is this caused by weight gain? Or capsule contraction?

Hi and thanks for your question - any sudden onset pain this far out from surgery should be evaluated by your surgeon.  It is unlikely a modest weight gain is causing the issue, and you want to be sure an early capsular contracture or infection is caught and treated.  Best of luck to you!

Sore breasts

Hey calz and thanks for your question. I suggest following up with your surgeon as soon as you can. It could be nothing serious, but it's always best to be sure it is not capsular contracture or any type of infection. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Sore breasts after breast augmentation

It is not expected that routine breast implants cause soreness one year after augmentation. Also, weight gain alone does not usually cause isolated breast pain. That being said, a sore breast or chest can be caused by a wide range of sources including but not limited to musculoskeletal pain, infection, fluid collections, or capsular contractures (scarring). It is important to have a thorough examination by your physician to make sure your breast implants are not the cause of the pain and to determine if there is another underlying cause. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

It's best to go to your surgeon and get checked

It's probably nothing and may actually be related to your breast tissue and not your implants.  The easiest way to tell is to go see your surgeon. Capsular contracture is easy to diagnose and it is fixable.  Hopefully it's nothing! Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain in the morning one year after breast augmentation? (500 ccs)

Your soreness is unusual and you need an examination to determine whether you have breast tissue soreness, a capsular contracture or nerve sensitivity.  I have often found that when women have breast tenderness 1-2 years after surgery (with non-tender implants) lowering their caffeine intake for at least four weeks will often erase the symptoms.  Coffee of course has lots of caffeine and chocolates (15 lb weight gain?) cause similar symptoms.  Do get examined and best of luck.  I hope that this helps you.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Pain after Augmentation Mammoplasty

Dear Ms. Calz,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry you are in pain.

Your symptoms are unusual and  difficult to diagnose without more information and a physical exam.

I suggest you make a follow up appointment with your Plastic Surgeon.

My best,

Robert Hardesty, MD, FACS