Why are my breast pointy after my beast augmentation? (Photos)

Hello, I am 27 yrs old, 169 lbs had small B cup breast. Got 500 cc Left/525 Right Saline Implants, under the muscle, areola incision. I am 1 week post op. I seem to be unhappy with the fact that they look pointy from a side view and wish they were closer together to give me more cleavage. Is it normal they are pointy? Will they stay in that pointy shape? Is there any messages I can do? I would hate to get surgery again to fix this :-(

Breast and areolar shape after breast augmentation

Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Without your pre-operative photo, I cannot fully assess your concern.  However, you might have had "pointy" breasts/areolas prior to surgery.  Due to swelling and implant, your breast shape may look more pointy (exaggerated) after the surgery.  As the swelling decreases and implants settle in their pocket, your breast shape will improve.  Please allow at least 3 months to see your final result from the surgery.  Also, follow-up with your plastic surgeon to share your concern.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Too Early in Recovery to Judge

Dear Suckerpunch88,

Being only one week postop, you have prominent swelling that is still notable. You need to give this at least six to eight weeks for everything to settle down, and you will have closer to your final result. Regarding cleavage, the only position that is proper for the implant is to be centered under your nipple areola, which they are. If the implants are move closer to together you risk the dreaded uni-boob complication, and the nipples will look like they are diverging outwards.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Why are my breast pointy after my beast augmentation?

You are very early in recovery and over the next 3 months your breasts and implants will assume a much more normal rounded appearance.  Tissue swelling from the operation is accentuating the pointy appearance and this will resolve quickly  over the next 6 weeks.

Swelling is normal after any type of surgery

You are most likely experiencing post op swelling. I see your Dr. made an incision on your areola so this is very likely the cause of your 'pointy nipples'. You should see a gradual improvement in the months to come. I would also recommend you wear some type of bra when you sleep from now on to keep the implants from falling away from the center of your chest. When standing gravity will pull the implants down and when lying down on your back - gravity will pull them to the sides of your chest. Just fyi, so you can be proactive in prolonging your results. Best wishes to you. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question you need time for healing and for the swelling you will need to wait for 2 to 3 months.

Pointy breast after BA

Thank you for your question and sending pictures. I wish you'd also sent some preop pictures for me to evaluate the shape of your pre op breasts. With that said my advice to you is be patient. Your breasts look good. Most likely in the next 6 to 8 weeks everything will settle and your breasts will look perfectly fine. Just follow your surgeon's instructions and voice any of your concerns to them. Good luck 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Pointy breast

Hi thank you for your question. 

Your breasts may be odd looking because your skin has been stretched over them. Don't worry, this is likely temporary. If your breasts look like torpedoes, your implants probably haven't "dropped" yet. The lower half of each breast is probably still tight, forcing the breasts into a high, hard-cone shape. In the weeks immediately after your breast implant surgery, you may think your breasts are too big, too small, too round, not round enough, too square, too high, too low, too ugly, too this, and too that. This will pass in time. If your implants were placed under the chest muscles, it may take some time for the muscles to relax. If you are right-handed, your right breast may not drop as fast as your left one.

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Why are my breasts pointy after Breast augmentation

HI suckerpunch,

You are too soon after surgery to make a final judgment on the way your breasts will look. Just give it a bit of time and let the swelling go down. Ask your surgeon what you can do to push the breasts together after the swelling begins to go down. Sometime a bit of massage inward will help. There are also some bras that help as well to push the breasts in and up.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Pointy Breasts 1 week after BAM :(?

Hi Suckerpunch

The quick answer is yes.  I educate my patients prior to BAM that the implants will on average, just start to drop at between 4 & 4 weeks after surgery.  At one week, you have a very good appearance.  

Over time, the implants will drop, and you will get more fullness in the lower pole, and the nipple should not be so pointy.  Additionally, the cleavage should close in somewhat.

Discuss with your doctor any massages or any other treatments before you start them.  Also, only your doctor can give you an idea of what your end result should be, so talk to him.

Nice result so far!

Looking good after breast augmentation

The photos you submitted look fine for one week post-op. The breasts will soften, and likely round out, as time passes. Your breasts will also look closer together as time passes, with deeper cleavage. Due to swelling and tension on the skin from the new implants, the skin lifts off the sternum, or chest bone. Put your fingers on your chest bone above your breasts and slide them down, pushing the skin against the bone. Do this a few times, and you'll see that the breasts look closer together and the cleavage looks deeper. With time, the skin will drop down to the chestbone again, and I expect that you'll look great!

Andres Taleisnik, MD