Nerve pain after lipo?

Hi. I am 37 yr female . Very active . 5'3". 140's. I am 15 days post op of lipo of hips flanks thighs inner and outer and inner knees. Granted the pain in the inner knees and the fronts of thighs feel much better my love handles area feel awful. I so much pain ( siatic pain that radiates down to my feet) . I feel very swollen but honestly don't look very swollen. I am still very bruised all over. Is this still in the norm ? I am terrified I am made a huge mistake in attempt to rid of a few .problem areas

Liposuction - sciatic nerve pain at 15 days

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Severe pain is unusual 15 days after liposuction 
  • Sciatic nerve pain is even less common.
  • It may be from the liposuction, from surgical positioning, from an ill-fitting garment or from muscle spasm.
  • Assuming your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you need to return to her/him to be examined and to  determine what is going on and to treat it.
  • If your surgeon was not a qualified plastic surgeon, you should still return to be examined but chances are s/he will not have the knowledge and experience you need and you will still need evaluation by a plastic surgeon.
  • Don't panic - what you need is good post-operative evaluation and care to see you through.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pain After Liposuction

A pain that radiates down to your feet is not likely due to your liposuction and more likely due to a spine issue with a nerve pinch.  Why this is happening now is unclear but visit your surgeon to be sure that he or she agrees that it is not related and then see your primary care to address and resolve the issue.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Nerve pain after lipo?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery, you can also have nerve pain which is most of the times normal and it can happen right after surgery.. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD