i am getting the Infini treatment done for acne scarring. Do i need to discontinue tretinoin cream or doxycycline ahead of time?

Stop cream a few days before, continue with Doxy with INFINI RF

Stop the cream, it may cause unwanted irrigation, re start 7 days after the treatment. Doxycycline, continue, as INFINI is not light based, so all good. Even then for most light based laser systems the action spectrum of Doxy is in the long UVA, so lasers etc... will not effect it. I often PLACE my patients on doxycycline after INFINI RF to help reduce inflammation and prevent infection. All good to continue. Dr Davin Lim, Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Infini and Skin Care Protocol

Infini treatment, unlike laser or IPL, does not involve light; but rather microneedles which emit radiofrequency into the deeper skin layers.  While doxycycline should be discontinued prior to treatments that deliver certain wavelengths of light, there is no need to stop taking it before or after Infini.  Since post-treatment products that are used after Infini may increase the chance of a breakout, there is even more of a reason to continue taking the antibiotic. Regarding tretinoin (Retin-A and others), I recommend waiting until a few days after Infini treatment to resume applying, due to potential increased penetration and irritation.  Otherwise, I believe in topical retinoids for life (just not during pregnancy or lactation), which not only improves acne, but also helps to keep cells "acting young."  With Infini, you've chosen a state-of- the-art treatment for acne scars with virtually no side effects... and you should look forward to beautiful skin!

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Infini for acne scarring

In our practice, we combine retinoids with Infini RF for better results.  Especially for someone wanting to improve their acne scars. We recommend a series of 5-6 for acne scarring.  I don't feel you need to stop your retinoid cream prior to your treatment.  It is always best to consult first with your treating provider if you are unsure.

Infini RF And Outcomes/Cost -- Microneedling with Radiofrequency

If you have to ask this, I suggest you speaking to your physician or consider a different office. This should all be reviewed with you PRIOR to your treatment.  In my practice I do not stop any of these treatments.  You will need a series of microneedling/RF for acne scar improvement and often need it in combination with lasers, fillers/sculptra, and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Discontinue Doxycycline and Retin A before Infini

I don't think this is necessary but the company recommends stopping the Retin A a few days before and few day after the procedure. I see no reason to do so. It will help prevent acne that some people get with the procedure. The night of the procedure holding Retin A might be a good idea because there are still micropenetrations which remain open. Other than that, continue the cream.

Steven F. Weiner, MD