Poor Abdominal Fascia

I had an umbilical hernia repair following 4 pregnancies. The surgeon found that I have very thin fascia, and he put in a large piece of mesh that covers from my diaphragm to pubic bone, and way out to the sides. It is underneath the muscle layer, put in place using staples. I still have the diastasis, and my belly pooches out like I am still pregnant. At times I can suck it in nearly flat, but then there are times that it looks swollen. Can abdominoplasty be done? What about the mesh?

Doctor Answers 5

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Have your surgeon and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon discuss your status, options, and risk profile.  Then decide the best course of action.

Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Your abdominoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would agree that it is difficult to tell from the photos you have posted if you would need a full or mini abdominoplasty or just repair of the abdominal wall.  And to answer your question...yes you should be able to get an abdominoplasty or just repair of the diastasis with a mesh in place.  See a plastic surgeon for consultation.  And when choosing a surgeon make sure you review his before/after photos (make sure they are showing you multiple views -front/quarter turn/profile/back views and sitting views) and look for a belly that looks like yours.

Andre Aboolian, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

Abdominoplasty after umbilical hernia repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As you have noticed there is considerable weakness of the muscles and you would benefit from an abdominoplasty and repair of the muscle (both repair of the divarication of the rectus muscles and plication of the anterior rectus sheath).

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Abdominoplasty with mesh

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should be able to have an abdominoplasty and you look like a good candidate for one. With a good diastasis repair your tummy will stop bulging as much and stay flat.  Get a personal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to go over the details.  Just be sure you are not going to have any more pregnancies first:-) Good luck.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The presence of mesh should not posse a problem for an abdominoplasty.  It is however very difficult to tell if you need a full abdominoplasty, a mini abdominoplasty with a full muscle or rectus abdominus repair or just a repair. You should see a plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.