Can I stop sculptra and not do second treatment and will one treatment do much?

I do not like the look of fullness in face after doing sculptura for the first time. I wanted wrinkles smoothed out not full face. 2 vales were used and it was my first treatment done 2 days ago. What can I expect from the treatment.

Results from sculptra

Don't worry.  Most of the fullness you see will dissipate over the next few weeks.  Collagen will gradually build up in the area where the product was applied, but I doubt that you will feel too full after only having one vial to each area.

Sculptra - what to expect after injection

This injectable filler has significantly more volume than others and therefore the immediate look may not represent the final look at 1 month. Once the water is resorbed, the Sculptra will start stimulating collagen production. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Sculptra immediate effects are due to water volume.

The fullness you are experiencing is due to the volume of water that was injected with the Sculptra and will go away within a few days.  The Sculptra particles will then go to work to provide a subtle, gradual increase in fullness.  One treatment will provide some volume but most likely not optimal correction - but this depends greatly on your age, the quality of your skin, activity level, and volume deficit. 

I think that the most important thing to review with your physician is your primary concern.  Perhaps the wrinkles you describe would be best addressed with a laser resurfacing treatment as opposed to Sculptra.  We have so many tools these days for specific skin changes, and these need to be chosen to meet your unique needs. 

Michael Contreras, MD
Greenwood Village Dermatologic Surgeon

You need to be patient with sculptra

You can decide to stop sculptra and even to switch to another filler when you see your physician next.  However, I would recommend patience.  The initial fullness you see is from the fluid mixed with the sculptra before injection.  That disappears in a week and the results of the treatment start to appear about 4 weeks later.  A general rule to predict sculptra treatment results is the following:  if you look very puffy immediately after treatment, results of that treatment may be sufficient; if you look perfect immediately after treatment, you'll likely need at least another session; if you still look hollow immediately after treatment, you will need many more treatments.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Stopping treatment with Sculptra after one treatment

Two days after 2 vials of Sculptra, most likely what you are experiencing is post-injection swelling from the volume of the product injected.  I would recommend waiting a week before making any decisions about your next step.  Multiple treatments are generally needed over a period of several months to see the effects of Sculptra, so I would discuss your concerns with your Sculptra injector.  Perhaps he/she can inject less volume next time.  Good luck! 

Michelle Pipitone, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and number of treatments

You can definitely stop Sculptra after one treatment. However you will not obtain optimal results. If you felt like you were overfilled during the treatment, then you may consider doing one vial at a time if you decide on doing a second or third treatment.  Make sure that you feel comfortable with your Sculptra  injector and that he or she is experienced with the product as it requires a much higher learning curve.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Sculptra and Results

It takes several sessions spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart to see the results of Sculptra.  Currently you are just seeing the initial swelling from the injection itself and not the results of the collagen being produced from Sculptra.  I would wait up to 6 weeks to see the full effects.  Two vials depending on the area injected and types of wrinkles that you have should not have a significant effect after only one treatment and you do not have to repeat it.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Sculptra Injections

This is a very common reaction and I have learned to warn patients that they may feel regret in the first few days b/c they will think they've traded wrinkles for a fat face. Don't worry if your face feels too full at this early point. In a week you could be worried that the treatment didn't do anything. 2 vials is going to have a gentle and subtle effect. Your fullness with dissipate over the next few days. The benefits on the skin (more firm and lifted and less wrinkled) will evolve much more slowly over the next month. 

Roberta Lucas, MD
White River Junction Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra injections

Sculptra takes 6 to 8 weeks to start to see the results of skin thickening.  The fullness that occurs in the first few days is from the water that is injected or some bruising.  This fullness will go down in a few more days.  Wait at least 6 weeks before deciding about another Sculptra treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Scultpra Results Take Time! Individualized Goals Are Required.

There is no way for us to answer this.  Wed have to see pictures and evaluate you in person to determine what your goals are.  2 Vials may give you a result but it all depends on your initial situation.  I often combine sculptra with other fillers to get both short and long term results.  Best, Dr. Emer.