Will Sculptra in my cheeks make them too big? (Photo)

I would like to add sculptra to my cheeks, to give my mid-face a lift. I also have some under eye hollowing I would like to conceal. My issue is while I am not smiling my cheeks appear to be very flat, although when I am smiling I look very cheeky. I don't know why this is. If I add more volume won't I look swollen? Maybe the sculptra can be placed somewhere else to lift cheeks?

Conservative Sculptra Could Work

Hi there. Although it's difficult to tell from a single photo, it does appear that a conservative treatment with Sculptra Aesthetic in your cheeks can give you the type of cheek augmentation you want. Because this product lasts longer than most other fillers, it's vitally important to choose a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in fillers. An experienced injector can give you noticeable results without making you look "swollen." Upon consultation, your doctor may determine that you're a better candidate for another type of filler, such as JUVEDERM VOLUMA XC or Perlane. Hollowing und the eyes may be best treated with a "lighter" weight filler such as Restylane, Restylane Silk or BELOTERO. Both Sculptra and hyaluronic acid fillers can both be safely injected on the same day. Good luck on your search!

Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma and sculptra to lift the cheeks

It is normal for the portion of the cheek that is below the eye to be relatively flat when you are not smiling. This flat space allows your cheek to move up when you smile. 

I think you have a slight heaviness in the portion of the cheek that is just above your nasolabial fold.  This anteromedial part of the cheek tends to get heavier as we age.  

We can use injectables to restructure your cheek (and not make your cheeks look swollen or overdone). Consider using voluma to lift the cheek back up. Sculptra is a wonderful way to build up the lateral cheek and that will also raise your cheek up. 

Sculptra and cheeks

You can definitely use Sculptra to enhance your cheeks.  I would approach under the eyes with caution with Sculptra, and would prefer to use a Hyaluronic acid based filler like Restylane.  If you are unsure about volume in your cheeks, you may consider using a filler like Voluma or Perlane to show you what volume can look like.  

Sculptra or Juvederm Voluma for Mid Face Volume

Sculptra is an excellent product to use in the mid face to add volume. Sculptra is recommended to be done once a month to add volume gradually to the mid face allowing you to still look like yourself. If you feel too filled out from one treatment, typically the next treatment less will be done. If you are looking to add volume to the cheek bone or malar eminence, Juvederm Voluma would be a better choice. The advantage of Juvederm Voluma is that it is a hyaluronic acid injectable. Therefore if you do not like your results it can be reversed with Vitrase. Both Injectables add volume to the mid face and have natural results. Consult your dermatologist to see which injectable would be right for you.

Barbara Bopp, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra for Natural Cheek Augmentation

Sculptra is a fabulous product for natural cheek augmentation.  Sculptra gradually and naturally allows your body to produce its own collagen.  It will give you long-lasting and natural-looking results. I would definitely suggest that you consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Sculptra for the best cosmetic result.

Sculptra for cheeks and periorbital area is a good choice

I have several patients like you who need a small amount of Sculptra around the cheek and eye area.  I think that about 2 vials is all you need.  It won't make you too cheeky.  I do use Sculptra around the eye in very small quantities without any issue.  I think it makes for a better correction than the HA's do in this area.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra for cheeks

Sculptra stimulates your own collagen to thicken but does not add volume the same way that fillers do.  Sculptra should not be used under the eyes since it can cause bumps there.  Please consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced in injecting Sculptra and fillers.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Sculptra on the cheeks and mid face in Los Angeles

Sculptra continues to be an excellent facial filler and sculpting agent for the midface, cheeks, and cheek-lid junction. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sculptra In the Face For Shaping

Sculptra is great as a foundation to keep the face lifting and healthy looking. I have all my young patients do a vial a year along with skin care, lasers and other immediate fillers to keep a preventative effect and excellent contours.  I suggest going to an expert for this as sculptra results cannot be reversed.  I often use cannulas to prevent bruising and swelling and you should go to someone who uses this technique to avoid complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra for fuller cheeks

Sculptra is a great cheek filler because it lasts a long time and you get the effect of fullness over several months.  The extra volume can give a modest cheek lift. Most people undergo 2-4 treatments.  Your cheeks will always look fuller when you smile.  

Sculptra is not a good under-eye filler- for this area your doctor will suggest other options such as Restylane. 

You should talk about your concerns in a consultation, especially the fact that you don't want your cheeks to be too large.  

See my link below for examples of cheek filler results and how it can simulate a lift.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon