Radiesse and Bellafill?

I am a 28 year old female going to get Radiesse injected into my cheeks and nasolabial folds 2 months before my wedding. If I like the result I want to go with a more permanent filler such as Bellafill. I see it as why keep paying for filler every 6-9 months when you can have a filler for years? I hear you need to have a test before it is actually injected? (Removal process) besides surgery? Does it get clumpy? If so, can you just massage the clumps so they disappear? Docs please advise!! :)

Radiesse vs Bellafill

Thank you for your question. I agree to choose a Hyaluronic Acid filler before your wedding, because these fillers are reversible incase you do not like the result. However, if you see yourself keep returning for filler, Bellafill might be a great option for you (in the nasolabial folds). Make sure you are injected by a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Reversible fillers .

Thank you for your question. I strongly advise you to go for a reversible filler which is Hyaluronic acid based like Juvederm, Restylane or Voluma. Both Radiesse and Bellafill are irreversible and if you do not like the results it is impossible to remove  2 months before your wedding.

Bellafill fillers are 20%  PMMA microspheres and 80% bovine collagen which makes the fillers long lasting. You have to be skin tested for Bellafill  to make sure you are not allergic to bovine collagen. Expert injection technique is the key to get good results with Bellafill.

Radiesse or Bellafill for the cheek augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  Radiesse works remarkably well for midface/cheek augmentation.  You will likely see the benefits of your injections for over a year.  If you are interested in a long term solution to midface Bellafill is effective for this issue.  You will need a skin test.  It is a not a permanent filler but it will last for quite some time due to the PMMA spheres.  Belllafill should only be performed by an experienced injector and preferably the same individual who has injected your Radiesse so they know exactly what you like for results.  Bellafill is not reversible and if you have a reaction to the product it can be very difficult to manage.  You may also want to consider autologous fat injections.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and Results

Bellafill is injected differently than other fillers; less over time and then it builds collagen naturally. It is not an immediate fill like other fillers. Bellafill is more permanent than other fillers and thus it requires meticulous injection technique and someone skilled and experienced. Some physicians do not use this product for those reasons. I use a significant amount of this product and find it very useful and beneficial for patients. If you are unhappy with results, I suggest 5fu/steroid injections and venus legacy/viva treatments for improvement. Please see an expert if you are considering this filler. Best, Dr. Emer

Nasolabial folds - Radiesse or Bellafil?

Thank you for asking about your Radiesse and Bellafill.
  • If you like the results of Radiesse, I suggest you keep having Radiesse.
  • Bellafill is collagen (no problem there) in PMMA spheres - this is polymethylmethacrylate.
  • It is a plastic and it does not absorb.
  • I have been in practice for 30 years and I have seen one permanent filler after another on the market - and  then taken off because they always cause problems.
  • The advantage of modern fillers is that they are temporary.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Radiesse vs Belafill

in my opinion one should never get a permanent filler. the side effects can be very delayed and you never know what can happen.  the strange thing is that the filler is permanent but the correction is not. Stick with Radiesse, which is safe and long lasting

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Bellafill is a permanent filler which can rarely cause a type of immune reaction called a granuloma.  This can show up months or years agree injection.  It is not possible to dissolve Bellafill.  I think that Bellafill has a potential role in the treatment of acne scars.  Acne scars can be disfiguring and can be very distressing to patients.  In this group of patients, Bellafill can provide long-term improvement and the benefits may outweigh the risks.  (Please note that even in the treatment of acne scars there are often better treatment options than Bellafill).For a regular cosmetic patient who is seeking volume restoration, it is preferable to use a non-permanent filler, especially for someone young in their twenties. Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse Bellafill ORRRRRR another Filler Prior To My Wedding

Bapolo1987 Congratulations on your up coming wedding! Thank you for your question.  Of course in an person consultation is necessary prior to making  a decision on your best course of action.  First  and foremost more important than the chice of filler, is your choice of injector , especially with Bellafill! Bellafill is my favorite filler because
  1. Only filler to be tested at 5 years and gets FDA approval
  2. has a very low side effect profile tested against other fillers
  3. biostimulates----- creates collagen
  4. improves skin tone
  5. is cost effective
Radiesse is also a great filler for mid term results ( up to 18 months) and will provide nice results in the cheek area ( as  Bellafil will too)BUT you are at a very vulnerable stage in your life and ,with my 20 plus years experience injecting, I would council you to go with  a filler that is also time tested but shorter acting  and even more important reversible, Juvederm or Voluma.  Why?  too many brides or mother's of the bride or even grooms get extremely emotional right prior to their weddings and IF on the small chance you were not happy with the look of the filler, you could have the potential to reverse it.
BUT after the wedding then consider Bellafill!
Best of Luck , Dr B

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bellafill and semi-permanent fillers...

Thank you for your question.  We commonly use Bellafill for acne scars as it is the only filler we truly see impressive results with at elevating the scars, however we do not commonly use it for global volume restoration as we do the soft fillers like the Juvederm family of products due to the fact that if there is a problem it is likely irreversible.  If we were able to get good results for acne scars with hyaluronic acid fillers we likely would use them in place of Bellafill for this condition due to there ease of correction if a problem were to arise.  That being said the protocol for Bellafill does include a skin test to make sure you are not allergic to any of the components of the filler.  If you were to get lumps, bumps or granuloma formation from Bellafill the initial first step would be to inject intralesional steroids and then possibly use some form of heat to try to disrupt the filler.  If this did not work the likely next step would be to proceed to surgery.  This is opposed to fillers like Juvederm that can typically easily be reversed by an injection of hyaluronidase.  Hope this info helps!  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon