Would Botox and lip fillers be best for a gummy smile with thin, uneven lips? Can they be done at the same time? (photos)

My lips are much too thin and uneven for my liking and I've got a slight gummy smile. I've heard of fillers for plumping and Botox for gummy smile. Can these be done at the same time or close together? I'd like to have my smile settled by Oct. 11th I've included pictures of myself and a few different "goal smiles" that I love. And yes, I am looking to fix my hanging columella, which is a result of rhinoplasty in 2014.

Botox and Filler for Lips?

You've got great lips for a conservative filler augmentation.  Be conservative if you'd like to look natural and start with one syringe.  I routinely use Juvederm Ultra XC others prefer other brands and thicknesses.  I refrain from recommending botulinum for the lips since I've seen patients who received it (elsewhere) and absolutely hated the sensation of being unable to elevate their lips. I also don't see evidence of your need since I don't see a gummy smile!  Go with the filler only IMHO and enjoy.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Correction of Gummy Smile and Tight, Thin Lips

Dear BabyGauchette:

A gummy smile is improved with Botox to relax the upper lip muscle fibers of the levator labii superioris muscle.

Tight, thin lips are enhanced with both Botox to weaken the inner ring of lip muscles and filler to volumize the lip.

Both techniques require advanced skill and talent. Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT to evaluate for and perform these procedures. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Hi there,  I regularly do Botox and lip filler on the same day. I would recommend that you seek the help of a board certified dermatologist would have experience with Botox in this area.  Additionally, because your lips are on the thin side the doctor will have to go slowly. I recommend only one syringe of Juvederm at a time. That way, you will not get so much swelling and or bruising. Good luck. Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

I do not appreciate any evidence of a gummy smile in your pictures. You are a good candidate for lip fillers (augmentation) based on the pictures you posted of your "ideal" lip shape and size. I would recommend restylane or juvederm. Start conservatively and add more if you need it once the swelling goes down. - Dr Yates

Essie K. Yates, MD
Fort Lauderdale Physician

Lip fillers yes, gummy smile, no

First of all, you are beautiful and do not have a gummy smile that I can see. Yes, a little more lips might be luscious but I don't see you with the lips in your photos. You have gorgeous eyes and a beautiful dainty nose. Your lips should not take over your face. They should just have a little augmentation. Start slowly and see what you like. See someone who is artistic and loves lips.Remember that it is way easier to add then to take away volume. Make sure your doctor knows type of shape that you desire to come close to as that can be worked with. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox and/or fillers

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I do not see evidence of a gummy smile from your photos. I do, however, think you're an excellent candidate for lip augmentation with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy smile?

I do not see a gummy smile in your photos.  Botox can help it a bit if there is a gummy smile. Fillers can augment the lips.

Would Botox and lip fillers be best for a gummy smile with thin, uneven lips? Can they be done at the same time?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. Though your pictures do not demonstrate a gummy smile, Botox can be used to lower the upper lip to increase coverage of the upper teeth.  That said I would recommend you first seek use of a thicker hyaluronic acid dermal filler, such as Juvederm Ultra Plus, to achieve your desired increase in lip size and then assess your mouth appearance.  Oftentimes with the added volume to the lips this will improve any subtle gum show.  

Lip Augmentation

First off, while your lips are somewhat thin, I do not believe you have a gummy smile (from your photos). I would first try lip augmentation with filler like Juvederm ultra plus. If you like the look, then you may want to consider fat transfer, as it is more permanent. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gummy smile and lips injections

These can both be addressed in the same treatment. The gummy smile injection leads to less lip lift which some people don't like. This is an injection for an experienced injector. Please choose an injector that has great lip filler results and comes recommended.

Steven F. Weiner, MD