I did Botox a week ago for gummy smile and now upper lip goes down and is looking bad? How can I fix it? (Photos)

My uber lip goes down and looking bad! I had nice smile my gummy wasn't so clear only little bit when I smile from lift side

Botox for the Gummy Smile

Thank you for your question jsearena. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. A small amount of Botox (2-4 units per side) can be placed just to the side of the nostrils to address the gummy smile. The gummy smile is seen in some people who when they smile, the lips go up so much that the gums are visible in addition to the teeth. Results are assessed by comparing pictures of the patient smiling before and at least two weeks after a treatment. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

I did Botox a week ago for gummy smile and now upper lip goes down and is looking bad? How can I fix it?

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

Botox can assist with this so that your upper lip is augmented/lengthened to conceal the gum. Following the initial treatment you can follow up with consistent treatments to maintain the look you've achieved. The look that works for you!

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Gummy smile trouble

Thanks for the question.  based on these pictures I am not sure what we are looking at in terms of before and after photos and what you are concerned about exactly.  Botox for gummy smile works by weakening the muscle that pulls the lip up.  By doing this the upper lip is allowed to fall down a bit more so that when you smile it doesn't pull all the way up and show the gum lines.  I usually only use about 2 units on each side, because if you use too much then you will get a longer lip and an overcorrection.  good thing is that the botox will wear off in a couple months.  

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Gummy smile

When gummy smile is treated with Botox the purpose is to lengthen the upper lip so the gum won't show when you smile.  as it wears off this will improve and if you have it done again have them use a smaller dose

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox for gummy smile

Thank you for your question. Treating the gummy smile really depends on assessing what is contributing to the gummy smile. There are two muscle sets that are often targeted with the gummy smile and depending on the degree of gummy show and which muscle set is dominating the gummy smile determines the target muscle as well as the dosage.

I did Botox a week ago for gummy smile and now upper lip goes down and is looking bad?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. I would allow another full week to go by to ensure that all of your Botox has begun to work as it may correct any subtle asymmetry.  Unfortunately if you still do not like your smile at that time you will have to wait until the Botox wears off to regain your former appearance.  Hope this helps.

Botox for gummy smiles

The photos do not show any abnormality. A photo with smiling would be more helpful in showing the results of the gummy smile treatment. Either way, if you are not happy with your results, I recommend discussing the situation with your injector. 

Hello Jsearena,

You didn't post any smiling photos either before or after your Botox, so there is no way to comment on the result.  If you had Botox for a gummy smile, it works by preventing your upper lip from coming up as much when you smile.  As a result, your description that your upper lip isn't coming up is simply the result of treatment.  If you aren't happy, it will take about 3-4 months for the Botox to wear off.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Smile and Botox

Injection with Botox for gummy smile is supposed to make the upper lip stay down when you smile. The Botox is paralyzing the upper lip muscle so it can't go up and show your gums. Really no fixing it until the Botox wears off. You'll slowly notice more movement of the upper lip as time goes in. It may take anywhere from 3-6 months depending on how your body metabolizes Botox. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox and Gummy smile

You did not post a single picture of you smiling before and after the Botox. If your smile wasn't that bad then it was not a good idea to have Botox. The enemy of good is better. Based on your pictures, I see no problem with your smile.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon