Botox injection in glabella didn't work (10 units), returned 3 weeks later and it was suggested I add Dysport (10 units)

because I have had success with Dysport before. I trusted the judgement but am now nervous that I added 10 units of Dysport in an area where I had 10 units of Botox 3 weeks prior. I had full movement in my Gabella and a ridge formed above my eyes. upper forehead took just fine as did my crow's feet with the botox. Thank you

Too low dose...

Hi. I think what happened here is that your Botox dose was too low. I usually use at least 20 units in the frown line area to allow a natural looking wrinkle reduction. Perhaps you should return to your injector and discuss your concerns. Best, Dr. ALDO

Hello, and thanks for your question. You had 10 units of Botox and 10 units of Dysport, which is equal to about 4 Botox units. You therefore had about 14 units total, which is a low dose. I usually inject 16-24 units for the glabella, and my patients tend to improve natural, subtle results over the "frozen" look. I think you just need more product to achieve the look you are seeking. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Dysport

As the other doctors here have explained, generally speaking a Botox treatment in the glabellar requires 20-25 units. That does not mean you needed that because every patients are unique, this is simply a generalization. One other thing to keep in mind, it is common that patients will have a Botox or Dysport treatment than return within a few weeks and need more of one or the other. Be sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with experience in these types of treatments. Good luck!

Dysport differences

so dysport dosing is about 2.5 to 3 times lower per unit than botox. Having said that, there are some unique advantages in my experience.  It has a greater area of diffusion so gives a more even effect for fewer injections and I believe that a conversion of 3:1 units (botox equivalent) it can have a longer effect. Try to wait a few days but dont be put off by dysport altogether. Adam Goodwin

Glabellar Botox treatment underdosing

10 units is extremely low dosing. Adding 10 units of Dsyport doesn't even make sense because this is actually about 4 units of Botox. Glabella's need about 20-30 units of Botox for effective treatment and can go as high as 60 or more in strong men. You were underdosed.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox To The Glabella

10 units of Botox to the glabella is nothing. No wonder you didn't see results. 10 units of Dysport is the equivalent of a little over 3 units of Botox. So you'd basically be adding nothing to nothing. The glabella usually requires between 20-25 units of Botox for adequate results. Some people may even need more depending on the depth of lines and muscle activity. Please find an experienced injector.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

This is a ridiculous suggestion.

How about seeing an injector who knows what they are doing.  Don't go to a medspa for botox or fillers unless there is a very experienced physician on premises doing the service.  There is just no substitute for experience.