Do I need to modify my workout after laser treatment?

I am an avid exerciser, generally doing a total of 7 hours of vigorous cardio every week. Do I need to modify after being treated with Fraxel/Fraxel Dual?

Feel Free to Work Out the Day After Fraxel Laser Therapy

You do not have to modify your lifestyle in any significant way after receiving Fraxel Restore or Fraxel Dual treatments, as they are nonablative and do not wound the skin. However, if you have a Fraxel Repair treatment, you will have some downtime that may last a few days to a week. Because you may be slightly uncomfortable after your treatment and experience such minor side effects such as tingling, burning, slight swelling or bruising, I do recommend holding off of exercise for at least a day, and perhaps up to three or four days, depending on how you feel. Call a board-certified dermatologist for a consult and learn how to use Fraxel to restore youth to your skin

San Diego Dermatologist

Exercising after laser

After fraxel or Sublative Fractional RF most patients go back to their usual exercise routines within 24 hours. Depending on your skin and it's reaction to laser treatments regarding redness and swelling it might feel more comfortable for you to put off vigorous exercise a slight bit longer.

Keeping your skin cool and clear of lingering sweat may be advisable as well as keeping it clean of any potential bacteria from gyms, etc.

At our practice most of our patients resume normal activities after the majority of our laser treatments including Sublative Fractional RF, IPL Photofacials, Laser Hair Removal, VBeam, Alexandrite (for brown spots) and Sublime RF within 48 hours including work, exercising, etc.  Occasionally, the CO2RE treatments and tattoo removal procedures require a slight bit more rest.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

When to Resume Exercise After Laser

Sweating may irritate laser-treated skin, and vigorous activity may momentarily exacerbate redness and/or swelling. Depending on your comfort level, resuming your exercise routine approximately 24-72 hours following most laser treatments is perfectly fine. The only time you want to take longer hiatus from physical activity is after being treated with an ablative laser, meaning a laser that is actually wounding the skin (ie. a CO2 laser). Fraxel Duel is non-ablative, so you may safely return to exercise after a day or so, depending on how you feel.

Avoid doing any exercise out in the sun for a couple weeks; if you must momentarily be outdoors, cover yourself completely and be diligent about sunblock. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after Fraxel

The most important thing after the Fraxel procedure is to stay out of the sun. If your cardio involves the outdoors, then I would hold off. Otherwise, I see no issue resuming your activity 1-2 days after the procedure.