Pictures of Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Tightening?

Does anybody have pictures of females who chose tummy tuck (mini or full) WITHOUT muscle tightening? Even better if the pictures are of women after pregnancy who decided not to have them tightened. I am considering a mini (I do not want a full) and I do not want my muscles tightened. I don't care if it's a "sub optimal" result in the eyes of the plastic surgeon. I mainly just want to get rid of the pouch of fat and some of the skin with as little invasiveness as possible...

Tummy Tuck without Muscle Tightening

Unfortunately,  it is not likely that you will find pictures  of tummy tuck  without muscle plication  done by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  As you said, the result would be “sub optimal” and not a result that the surgeon would be proud of or wish to display.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Pouch of fat on the lower abdomen

In many cases, the pouch or roundedness of the lower abdomen is due to the muscle being weak and the intra-abdominal contents pooching out, causing the pouch. In those cases, if the muscle is not repaired, you might get a little skin tightening with the skin removal and end up  looking almost the same. If it is just fat below the skin, then liposuction might be enough. Your surgeon should be able to tell if it is due to subcutaneous fat or intra-abdominal contents.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck without muscle work can be done if you are a candidate

Your body shape and level of rectus muscle diastesis will dictate the procedure. The problem with not repairing the muscle is the eventual restretching of the lower abdominal skin.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Without tightening of the muscles, the operation is not a tummy tuck, but a simple panniculectomy.  Seek pictures of panniculectomy for these results.

Steve Laverson, MD

Photos after tummy tuck

Photos can be misleading. I do not recommend making decisions based on photos.  Your surgeon should customize your surgery to fit your anatomy and desires. A patient who doesn;t have a muscle tightening will look different depending on what her anatomy is. You may or may mirror that patient's anatomy.

Robin T.W.Yuan, M. D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

We need your photos.

Plastic surgeons train for years to know what is right for you. Any surgeon who does what you want, not what you need or is right for you is a fool. When patients have suboptimal results, they forget what they said and sue the doctor. See an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, and listen to their advice. You want a less tan optimal result, get a girdle.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Tightening?

RE: " I am considering a mini (I do not want a full) and I do not want my muscles tightened. I don't care if it's a "sub optimal" result in the eyes of the plastic surgeon. I mainly just want to get rid of the pouch of fat and some of the skin with as little invasiveness as possible.."

Respectfully, I don't think you really understand what you are asking for. Plastic surgeons' success depends on producing "wow!!!" results not "I can't see the difference, dear...,or worse yet,  " What happened to you?" or "Who did that to you?" results. Movies often portray as as self-absorbed artists who impose our whims and sense of beauty on weak-willed, insecure women. That is rarely if ever the case.

In your case, I assume you want to get your full before-baby body back only better. In the hundreds of women I have treated I had a very small minority asking to remove the loose skin but leave the tummy pooch/ muffin top, wider waist and sagging mons pubis intact. Every woman wants the flattest tummy possible with restoration of a narrow, sexy waist. NONE of these are achievable by removing only a little loose skin under the belly button (Mini-Tummy Tuck) while ignoring the tummy muscle separation and stretched out state.

Since Mini-Tummy Tucks produce disappointing results in almost all women who had a single large pregnancy or multiple pregnancies you will not see a lot of pictures of this procedure on the web. Such photographs would case prospective patients away from a surgeon.

Please, reconsider your decision. See several Plastic surgeons and see what they suggest. Start by telling them what you want to look like - not what surgery you are willing to put up with.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Here is a link from my website:

Here is a link from my website before and after photos.  There is no right or wrong answer in terms of tummy tuck procedures.  Some procedures will give you a better result than others based on how much laxity you have but in the end you will have to choose the procedure that is right for you.  If you have enough laxity for a full tummy tuck than that is usually the best course since your belly button will be rejuvenated as well.  Smaller amounts of laxity can be addressed with mini tummy tuck, endoscopic tummy tucks, and liposuction.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

To reiterate what some of my colleagues have said: removal of skin alone does constitute a panniculectomy; the need for muscle repair can be assessed on physical exam, but this is part of a true mini- or full tummy-tuck; it's your belly and your choice, but you have to understand the anticipated results with each procedure.

Also, if you have an isolated panniculectomy, local anesthesia may suffice without any IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Of course a formal consultation is required to determine your best option. Second opinions can also have clarify complex issues. Good luck.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs full abdominoplasty

With all due respect to my colleagues who feel the surgeon knows best, you are the one who has to go through the surgery and recuperation and live with the result. I do a number of mini-abdominoplasties and find that they give very satisfactory results IF there is excess skin and subcutaneous tissue below the belly button AND the muscles are tight. Technically this is a panniculectomy but I suspect that if you check out pictures for panniculectomy you will see pictures of patients who have lost a lot of weight, often over 100lbs, and I suspect that will not be helpful for you in your situation. With all due respect to you and your wishes, it is important that you listen to what your surgeon says as he/she is an expert and does have experience. You should find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with whom you feel comfortable discussing your concerns and wishes. Be open to the possibility that they may be unrealistic but your surgeon should be able to explain your options and what he/she feels is best for you. This process of discussion and agreement about surgery is called informed consent and is very important. Both you and your surgeon should feel comfortable with the plan. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon