If your binder/spanx leave creases, is it better to use them or go without them? (photo)

I am 17 days post op from a tummy tuck with lipo to the flanks. My binder and spanx are leaving horizontal lines from creasing. I have minimal swelling and no pain. Is it better to wear the binder and have the lines or should I not wear one?

Binder or no?

You should definitely continue with the post op instructions your plastic surgeon provided you.  The compression garments are critical in maximizing your results.  You can try putting ABD pads between your skin and the binder to prevent the creasing.  Please follow up with your plastic surgeon.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Talk with your surgeon

If the garment is cutting into an area, you should readjust it, or add dressings, and talk with your surgeon and their staff. Garments after liposuction or body contouring are used by many, but there are some surgeons who don't use garments. You should revisit this with your surgeon, and if there is significant pain, see your doctor right away.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

If your binder/spanx leave creases, is it better to use them or go without them?

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Compression garments are typically recommended following procedures such as liposuction, tummy tuck, breast procedures, etc.  the compression helps to reduce swelling, which in turn relieves some pain.  For body contouring procedures and liposuction, the compression isinportant to allow improved settling of the tissue and will optimize results postoperatively. 

Discuss your issues with your surgeon and follow his/her postoperative instructions.  You could adjust the binder frequently and as needed. Also, placing some gauze between your skin and the garment may help. Hope that this helps. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

When garments create creases

simply readjust them on a regular basis as they are considered by most to be important in your recovery.  Do not let binders create deep creases as it can sometimes lead to scarring if it creates pressure sores.

Curtis Wong, MD

Binder or spandex needed 2 1/2 weeks after tummy tuck

Follow your surgeon's instructions and explain your problem. 
Garments can damage the skin - but your lower abdomen is still swollen. 
The garments may need padding. At times tight bike pants work better.

Post Surgical Garments

Tricia,

Wear the garments. They help with fluid buildup and control movement that may otherwise widen your scars. Follow up with your plastic surgeon as to when to stop.  The horizontal lines are not problematic.

I hope this was helpful,

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Beverly Hills, CA

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Binder/spanx

Hello Tricia.  I believe it is very important to wear some type of compressive garment for 6 to 8 weeks after either a tummy tuck or liposuction.  It not only reduces swelling (which also reduces pain), it allows the skin to pull in and tighten.  One of the risks of a tummy tuck is a seroma (collection of fluid) under the skin.  Compression helps lower that risk as well.  The horizontal creases could be from the binder being too tight.  However, it is usually because the skin is swollen which causes it to be spongy.  That makes creases which will go away when you stop using the binder or spanx.  So, better to wear the binder than not especially after only 17 days.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon