Should vaseline continue to be used after stitches removed from mohs surgery one week ago?

Is it good to keep vaseline on a scar where stitches from mohs surgery were removed one week ago and if so for how long. Should I use some type of scar ointment.If so when would I start and what would you recommend.

Traditionally the answer is no. I do not have my mohs patients use any ointment after the first week for most wounds. It is very surgeon dependent. I prefer to keep the wound covered at that point with a bandage or tape. I may also use a silicone based product shown to improve scarring as well, but I do not like ointment after one week because the wound becomes macerated like being in the pool too long and can become prone to breaking open. I hope this helps. Sincerely,DrRickAZ

Post-Mohs Surgery Wound Care

Thank you for your question. As a Mohs surgeon, I
have found that it is best to apply a thin layer of Aquaphor (this is my preferred ointment but Vaseline works as well) and a
bandage after the surgical site has been repaired and then leave the bandage on
until sutures are removed. The Aquaphor will help to keep the site moisturized
which in turn will help with scarring. When sutures are removed, it is again
best to apply a thin layer of Aquaphor ointment and a bandage and leave this is
place for several more days. If, after removal of the second bandage, the scar
appears dry and scabs are present, it is best to apply a thin layer of
Aquaphor. However, if the scar is not dry and you do not note any scab
formation, then simply apply sunblock. If you do need to apply Aquaphor or
Vaseline, be sure to also apply sunblock as the sun will be attracted to the
shine of the ointment. The best way to improve scarring is to apply sunblock
daily and reapply every two hours.  You
may also check with your dermatologist and see if they would recommend use of a
retinoid such as Retin-A (Tretinoin is the generic name) or even retinol for
collagen production and scar improvement as well as fine line prevention as
this is the number one product to use after sunscreen.

Vasoline on a scar post mohs

We customarily advised a two week course of an ointment based topical agent after a surgical procedure.  Typically we will advise bacitracin or aquafor, but vasoline is acceptable as well.  The advantage of using such an agent is to protect the wound from external allergens as well as keeping the incision site moisturized.

Nadia Satya Urato, MD
Natick Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar

Moisturizing the incision site after the sutures are removed will help with scar. I would use a scar ointment as opposed to Vaseline at this time. There area various OTC options as well as prescription silicone gels and sheets that would work better. I would talk with your dermatologist and see what they may have available at their office. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Can I use Vaseline on my scar

Moisture is very helpful for scar healing. I prefer silicone sheeting or Aquaphor to Vaseline. It can irritate the skin.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon