Had Moh's surgery on tip of nose and unhappy about nostrils? (Photo)

Had Mohl's surgery 6 weeks ago. Freaking out about one nostril wider and upward. What can I do? Going back to doctor in one month.

Nostrils are different after Mohs

There is not a lot of extra tissue in the nose area so there may be some asymmetry after the procedure that will lessen in time as the skin "gives" a bit more. If you look at some of the photos on RealSelf you will see what I'm talking about. Also, do try to remember that the point was to remove the cancer and it was not a cosmetic procedure to make your nostrils perfect. There can be some reconstruction again in the future if you want to even out the nostrils, but there needs to be some time. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Mohs surgery and reconstruction

Hi. I would recommend you followup with your Mohs surgeon to discuss this concern. It is possible there was some asymmetry to begin with but it is also possible that this might be the result of the surgery. The nose does not have much loose skin so even a small defect can be a very complicated repair with Mohs surgery. The good news is that it sounds like you recently had the surgery and typically time often helps resolve some of the swelling and tightness and distortion that may occur in the short term while the body is still recovering. Best to talk to your Mohs surgeon though.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Had Moh's surgery on tip of nose and unhappy about nostrils?

Thanks for your question. So without really knowing what the original defect looked like or what was done to fix it makes it really hard to say. First, we all have nostrils that are not even. I have no idea if yours were or not. Being that said certain flaps used to close openings can pull on the nostril. Some will return to normal over time as the flap stretches and relaxes and some will not. Just talk to your surgeon and see if they think yours will loosen up over time or not. 

Richard J. Brown, MD