I have read reviews that coolsculpting is temporary. Is this true? Will new fat cells replace the frozen ones?

Reviews indicate that coolsculpting is temporary. I have read that in 6 months or more that the fat will begin to accumulate in the area again.

CoolSculpting Is Permanent Fat Removal

To understand the results you can expect from CoolSculpting, it's important to first understand the nature of fat cells. The number of fat cells in the adult human body does not fluctuate. Instead, weight gains and losses are caused by fat cells getting bigger or smaller, not increasing or decreasing in number. CoolSculpting is one of the few cosmetic procedures available that actually reduces the number of fat cells in the body. Once they're removed, these fat cells will not "grow back," and you can maintain your CoolSculpting results for however long you like by living a healthy lifestyle. However, your remaining fat cells can still grow, causing weight gain. Therefore, while undergoing CoolSculpting does not ensure that you'll never again need to worry about gaining weight, the fat reduced by the procedure does NOT "grow back." I hope this helped clarify things for you!

CoolSculpting is long lasting when weight is maintained

CoolSculpting is effectively permanent in that the frozen fat cells will not return; however, if a patient does not maintain a steady weight it is entirely possible for existing fat cells to enlarge and weight to be gained back. If you can keep your weight the same, results will be long lasting.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Permanent - no new cells

Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells. For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly." That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area. It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body. Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body. It won't just "go straight" to one area.
The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting. You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it. I have done it to myself and my staff. It is truly effective and has no down time.
Best of Luck,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting destroys fat cells permanently

Coolsculpting destroys the fat cells permanently and you can't replace them.  However IF you gain a lot of weight your other pre-existing fat cells cal get bigger.  Like other fat removing or destroying techniques, the patients who do best are those who are in a weight loss program or those who maintain a stable weight.
i hope this answer was helpful.
Best wishes

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Coolsculpting Delivers Permanent Fat Reduction

Coolsculpting results in permanent fat reduction in the treated areas on your body. Each treatment eliminates 20-25% of the fat cells in the treatment area. The results are not temporary nor will you experience fat cell replacement. 

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting results are permanent

We make no new fat cells after early teenage years. CoolSculpting decreases the number of fat cells in the area treated. Because we make no new fat cells as adults, our shape improvement after treatment is permanent. The stubborn bulge you treat is improved forever.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Results

the results of coolsculpting are permanent however, there are still fat cells there that remain and those can enlarge if you do not keep your normal diet / exercise.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat Reduction From CoolSculpting Can Be Permanent

Don't believe all the reviews that you read. The fact is that as long as you maintain a healthy diet and an active lifestyle the results of the CoolSculpting treatment can be permanent. Naturally, if you gain weight after the procedure then your remaining fat cells may enlarge or you may form new fat cells which can then negate your results. Hope this clears things up for you.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting similar to liposuction reduces the number of fat cells permanently

Unlike some energy sources that might traumatize fat cells and make the fat liquify and leave the cells until more fat is produced by those cells, CoolSculpting kills a certain percent of cells that are frozen. Liposuction removes  a greater number of cells per volume treated than CoolSculpting kills but both leave behind, purposely, some living fat cells. One must have a thin layer of fat between the skin and underlying tissues, whether bone or muscle, to help with circulation, temperature regulation, insulation, nerve supply, glucose metabolism, etc. Neither liposuciton nor CoolSculpting are replacements for diet and exercise. If one has gained weight because there is a surplus of calories coming in over what is needed for the energy expended by the body for normal functions and exercise, then if that person has fat removed but doesn't change their diet or exericise, then fat must be stored because they are continuing to eat too many calories for what their body needs. That fat goes to different places, not just the area treated. But new cells don't grow; the fat gets stored in the residual cells, but usually less in the treated areas because there are less cells now to store that fat.
Remember, CoolSculpting is designed to treat stubborn focal bulges of fat in a person who is relatively in shape, and not to be used for obesity.

So freeze the fat away with CoolSculpting but eat a well balanced meal without exceeding the calories needed to sustain your body's metabolism, and you will see long term correction of fat reduction.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is Permanent

Coolsculpting is a great technique which freezes the fat in a given area.  The results of the treatment is permanent provided you maintain a healthy life type and do not gain weight.  Please consult an expert in Coolsculpting.  Best, Dr. Green