Does CoolSculpting change your fat as well as reduce bulges?

I have had coolsculpting in several different areas. In each area done and others NOT done (like my arms), i have noticed much firmer fat as well as the reduction in bulges. It actually looks like fat has been redistributed because bulges are clearly gone but the measurents are exactly the same. The increased firmness is good but I have not read anything about this kind of result so curious about what might be the reason.

Firmer after Coolsculpting

The fat normally does not get harder but gets softer after Coolsculpting.  Are you just firmer in the treated areas because you are feeling more muscle tone?
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Firmer after Coolsculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Fat loss and redistribution following CoolSculpting

Dear E Simon:

CoolSculpting (CS) is a non-surgical option for fat reduction. It is limited in the amount of fat reduction due to the size of the applicator and the percentage of fat which dies and eliminated by the body. 

When surgical liposuction is performed, up to 90% of the fat in a well contoured area may be reduced and removed. Generally 1000's of cc's of fat are removed at one surgical session. With CS, up to 20% of the fat "frozen" in each applicator (depending on size) will die. It is my "guestimation" that 50 to 100 cc's of fat are eliminated during each one hour session.

If you maintain the same weight, the calories lost in the fat reducing process, whether surgical or non-surgical, have been consumed again to be redistributed in remaining live fat cells. It is your individual genetics which determines which cells and therefore where the fat cells hypertrophy (get bigger). You may certainly have noticed greater firmness in your arms for example if the fat cells grew larger within the same sleeve of skin. 

In my practice, recommendations are made to reduce the number of calories in or expend the number of calories out for the amount of fat reduced; no matter what technique is used.

I hope this has been helpful. All the best!

Dear E Simon:

Firming up after coolsculpting.

Coolsculpting your abdomen or thighs should not affect the quality of the fat in your arms.  Coolsculpting destroys fat cells to contour, it doesn't redistribute fat. It also doesn't change the quality of the fat. You say your measurements are the same but the bulges are gone -- if the bulges are gone, and the area is more contoured, could it be that you are feeling muscle that before was hiding under the bulge. The firmness in your arm could be muscle also.  Many of my coolsculpting patients start treatment as they also move forward in an exercise regimen.  Having the procedure makes them feel better at the gym in their clothes and with movement which motivates them to exercise more.  

I hope this answer was helpful.
Best wishes

Firming up after coolsculpting.

I hope this answer was helpful.
Best wishes

Coolsculpting and Fat reduction

Coolsculpting works by reducing the fat in a given area by approximately 20% in a given area.  Coolsculpting does not redistribute the fat but reduces the fat in a given area.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting and Fat reduction

Coolsculpting and Fat

coolsculpting works to remove 15-20% of fat in any given area of treatment.  Often multiple treatments are needed to get a full effect or contouring like effect.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting and Fat

CoolSculpting contours bulges but doesn't redistribute fat

CoolSculpting is now the gold standard in permanent fat reduction. It has proven its worth not only with the FDA but with tens of thousands of happy patients.  It is so popular because it successfully contours bulges not because it causes weight loss.  It is shown to eliminate fat in the treated area without making it go somewhere else.  Once superficial fat is reduced it is possible that you can appreciate the firmer muscular tissue which was previously covered in squishy fat!
With it's low risk, minimal side effects and no recovery time I think it has great advantage over the traditional surgical liposuction.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon