Is filler a good option to raise an indented scar on my forehead after MOHS and a scar revision? (photo)

I had MOHS surgery on my forehead approximately six months ago. The scar healed indented and so my dermatologist redid the surgery in an effort to improve the aesthetic and employed every technique he knew to try to get a better overall appearance. Once again it has healed indented. Is filler a good option and if so which one do you recommend? Is my dermatologist qualified to inject this? Any information you have would be helpful.

Doctor Answers 4

Unsightly scar following mohs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

considerations to filler vs scar revision should be discussed with plastic surgeon, each approach has pros and cons. 

I recommend you to discuss specific issues regarding your questions with your dermatologist. 

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

S filler a good option to raise an indented scar on my forehead after MOHS and a scar revision?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there,
I would recommend both filler and Fraxel for your best facial appearance.  The filler alone will help  plump up the scar.  The Fraxel laser will help with the overall quality of your skin.  
Good luck,
Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Yes, a filler is a good option to fill in the indent in your scar. Your dermatologist is qualified to inject the filler if they have experience in filler injections. I would recommend  Voluma or Juvederm ultra plus in the area, depending on the depth of the filler.  

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist
4.4 out of 5 stars 25 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers can help in indented scars however need to be administered by experienced doctors in that area. I would suggest voluma

Firas Al-Niaimi, MSc
London Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.