Extra skin after mastectomy and reconstruction. Any suggestions?

I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction at the same time. I didn't need expanders thank goodness. I went with the same size breast I initially had and 1 breast has more skin left then the other. It's starting to feel raw as my arm rubes against the extra skin. I'm thinking of going back for another surgery to fix it. It has been 7 months since the first surgery. My dr says its swelling and tells me to massage it but I know it's not the answer. I'm not sure what to do anyone help?

Dog Ears?

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems after your surgery. If the excess skin is coming from the end of your scar then this is what Plastic Surgeons refer to as "dog ears" and this usually can be easily revised with a small surgery under local anesthetic in an office, but it is difficult to say or comment appropriately without any photos to go from in your case. After 7 months is a safe time to have any revisions done if you need them.Good luck!

Revision after breast reconstruction

It would be good to see photos but based on your story, a fairly simple revision, either liposuction or excision of excess skin seems reasonable.  Seven months out is fine, waiting longer is unlikely to change things.

Excess side breast tissue after mastectomy.

Without photos it is difficult to say exactly what the best plan is, but it sounds as though you may just need liposuction in your bra roll area.  For a good recommendation, it's best to be seen by a plastic surgeon in the office.  If your current plastic surgeon is not addressing your concerns, get additional opinions.  7 months is typically enough time for swelling to resolve.

Kelly Killeen, MD

Extra skin after mastectomy

By seven months post reconstruction, the tissues should be settled down. Pictures would be helpful in providing you with guidance. Best, Dr. Yegiyants

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon