Arnica tablets before injections?

I had a rhinoplasty in 1997 and at the time part of my doctors pre-op instructions were to take sub-lingual arnica tablets for a week or two before surgery (I can't remember) to help prevent bruising. I took the tablets as instructed and had *very* minimal bruising. I'm currently scheduled to have Juvaderm lip injections and was wondering if arnica tablets would be beneficial? I know there can be the possibility of bruising.

Arnica before Juvederm injections

I definitely think that taking Arnica wouldn't hurt before a procedure like this. Arnica has its benefits and could help with some of the bruising and swelling that may occur. Theres no guarantee but worth a try! Best, Dr. Emer 

Arnica tablets before injections?

While there is little truly objective data to support the notion that Arnica does actually decrease bruising, it has become the norm to instruct most patients to take Arnica around the time of surgery. The reason for that is because many of us believe that Arnica decreases the risk of bruising and hastens recovery. There have certainly been no significant reports of adverse events associated with Arnica. It may, therefore, be beneficial for you to take Arnica for your injections. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Arnica Before Facial Injections

I often advise patients to take Arnica before facial injections since no one wants the side effect of bruising.  Best, Dr. Green

Arnica and bruising

Yes, we often recommend arnica tablets as well as topical arnica gel to help with bruising. So it definitely would be beneficial to start on the arnica prior to the procedure to help cut down on the risk of bruising. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

All good with arnica and Juvederm

Yes, good idea. In fact for bruising I do advise patients to use arnica cream. 
So, go for it, there is no interaction with Juvederm. Technique is the key, ie. prevent a bruise to 
begin with.

cheers

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Should you take sublingual arnica tablets prior to lip injections

Thank you for asking your good question. Arnica might help prevent bruising or hasten recovery (no one knows for sure), so it is worth trying if a bruise would bother you. Make sure to be off blood thinners if possible.
Good luck,

Arnica before Filler Injections

I always give my patients Arnica before surgery to minimize bruising. It would do no harm and may be helpful to take this before filler injections, although bruising is not very common after this procedure.

Arnica tablets before injections?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, but no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. At 4 weeks postop, the effects probably are not helpful. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD