I'm 17 year old teenage boy who is experiencing hair fall and hair thinning! What do you think is happening to me?

HELP! I am 17 year old teenage boy who is experiencing hair fall and hair thinning! What do you think is happening to me? I am getting worried because every time I look at my bed I see lots of hair. When I wet my hair, huge amounts of hair removed. I tried looking for answers but none helped me. All I could do was to have theories and intelligent guesses. I know for sure that this is not in the genes because none in our family experienced this. Please help! Is there a cure to this? Need answers!

Doctor Answers 6

See Your Family Doctor When Losing Lots of Hair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hair loss is a scary experience, especially when its hair loss at a young age. Chances of hair loss while you're in your 20s is in the 20% range, but seeing how hair loss doesn't run in your family, it'd be best for you to consult your GP. Losing bulk amounts of hair is concerning for sure, so see your family doctor as soon as possible. 

Mississauga Hair Restoration Surgeon

17 and losing hair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who has a HAIRCHECK instrument and will most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Go see a doctor!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is a frightening experience to experience hair loss.  I have been there many times myself and it can really cause one to panic. 

However, don't panic!  Instead of researching on the internet, call a doctor in your area and get evaluated.  This is one of those times when email and electronic communication are not going to help you.  You need to be examined by a professional.  Remember, your family history may not tell you that you are prone to hair loss and you might need blood tests or a biopsy to determine the cause.  Generally speaking - the earlier hair loss is treated, the more effective the treatment is so make a phone call today and get started.

Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

What's causing my hair loss?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You can get a final answer on the cause of your hair loss by seeing a dermatologist or other scalp specialist and having a full hair and scalp examination. Blood tests will likely be needed based on the information you have provided. In rare circumstances, a biopsy will also be helpful.

This is the only way to properly diagnosis hair loss: Full medical history and clinical examination followed by supportive testing if needed. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

17 year old male with hair loss. Whats the matter?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Have you seen your doctor about this, or a dermatologist? That's the first thing to do to get a diagnosis. Without that its very difficult to suggest a treatment. Alternatively, you can send good photos to a specialist. I do get young men with hair loss who, like you, cannot find an obvious member of their family with hair loss.
The most likely diagnosis is still male pattern hair loss I'm afraid. If this does get confirmed for you, then start Minoxidil and/or finasteride asap and review after a year

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Conservative treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a common type of Androgenetic Alopecia, unless there is a medical history of hormonic disease which is rare. We expect excess hairloss in young ages until the 30s therefore it is extremely important to receive conservative medication (such as minoxidil) and address a plastic surgeon or hair restoration expert to advise you.

Anastasios Vekris, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.