Dry flaky breast skin - 3 weeks post-op.

Hi so im 3 weeks post op and now i get dry flacky skin anything to put on? What vit. E capsule can i use this and use the oil and put it on my breast?

Why do I have dry flakey skin after breast augmentation?

Hi Myra,

Thanks for the question.  It's very common to have dry skin after surgery.  There are a couple of contributing factors:  the antiseptics used during surgery are very drying and your skin can stretch quite a lot after the implant is placed- to the point where your skin looks shiney.  All of this settles down over about 3-4 weeks.

I do like using moisturizers after the surgery but doctors are very particular about their individual post op care.  Check in with yours to find out his/her recommendation.

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Westport Plastic Surgeon

Dry flaky breast skin

It is not uncommon to have dry flaky skin following breast augmentation especially in the first month. This is probably a combination of both the antiseptic solutions used and possibly also due to the swelling and stretching of the skin which may have an effect on the tiny oil glands that are present in the skin. Moisturizers work well. However do discuss with your plastic surgeon who may have thoughts regarding placing moisturizers directly over your incision. Your skin should be back to normal soon.

Dry skin 3 weeks after BAM?

Thanks for bringing up your concerns. The dry skin is common and is a sign of skin stretch. You should use a moisturizer which will improve things. Best, 

Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Dry skin

Congratulations on your recent surgery! This is not uncommon for the skin to become dry and flaky after surgery. Try using palmer's coco butter with vitamin E lotion to the skin daily. Best of luck!

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation: What to do with dry, flaky skin after surgery?

Skin likes moisture. I recommend to my patients that when their skin feels dry they can use some gentle moisturizers like vitamin E, cocoa butter or baby lotion. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Moisturizer of choice

Any moisturizer should be fine but avoid your incisions unless you have checked with your surgeon.