How to work around epinephrine sensitivity for topical procedures?

I take medication for tachycardia. So, I cannot have numbing creams, etc. used during cosmetic procedures, that contain epinephrine or, that would otherwise have the potential to raise my heartrate. Given that, is there a way for me to have procedures like laser resurfacing or laser eye(skin) procedures?

Epinephrine and laser procedures

As everyone says , not all compound contain epinephrine, in fact for superficial cosmetic procedures most creams and injectables DO NOT contain epinephrine. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane, Australia.

Brisbane Dermatologist

Anesthesia without epinephrine?

You have multiple options for adequate anesthesia without epinephrine.   Both lidocaine and bupivicaine are injectable anesthetics that can be supplied without epi.   So nerve blocks, tumescent and local anesthesia can be achieved without the use of epi.  The only think that is lost without epi is the vasoconstriction that epi provides.  Talk to your doctor.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Avoiding epinephrine for procedures

The use of epinephrine in local anesthetics is for several reasons. It allows your surgeon to give you a higher volume of the anesthetic, it prolongs the action of the anesthetic, and it helps constrict blood vessels to reduce bleeding.

It is not necessary to have the epinephrine in the local or cream in terms of being numb enough for your procedure. You will just be giving up some of the advantages that epinephrine provides.

Good luck!

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Options for avoiding epinephrine in anesthetic for cosmetic procedures

You can have lidocaine without epinephrine, or use ice packs, or even injections of normal saline to give you good anesthesia, as well as oral medications. Your doctor can definitely help you with this.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetic procedures and epinephrine

Your doctor can avoid epinephrine in any local anesthetic.  Some topical numbing creams contain phenylephrine and I would also avoid that in your case.  Make sure to discuss your medical history with your doctor prior to any treatment.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

ActiveFX can be performed under local anesthesia without the use of epinephrine. Please consult your local Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can laser skin resurfacing be performed without use of epinephrine

Thank you for sharing your question. Erbium laser skin resurfacing can be performed without with topical or local anesthetic without epinephrine. This type of medication will not effect your heart rate. See a laser expert for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of treatment options. 
Good luck,