I'm petite (5'2, 100lbs). Using 200-225cc. What would produce a less fake look with silicone: mod+, or high profile? (Photo)

Given my size, I've decided I want to stay under 225cc for a more natural appearance. I'm currently a 32AA, and I am not trying to achieve a really obvious appearance. Given my severe lack of breast tissue, I'm terrified of the "balls on a chest" look! Because of this, the high profile implants are scaring me a bit. Would a mod profile + help me achieve more of the look in Picture A than in Picture B (my desired result)?

Moderate profile

When a high profile implant is placed under the muscle, the upper pole appears soft. I would suggest a 350 cc size. this may add 2 cups in a 32 chest wall and would look great in either profile. 225cc is very small and may not be worth the recovery.Look at similar size women prep and post. Good luck.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Different implant choices

Hello, the gap between implants depends to a large extent to your anatomy.  Your surgeon has to insert the implants under your breast mounds.  The use of one profile of implant over the other (moderate vs M+) doesn't guarantee there will not be a gap.  Your surgeon will help you to pick the right profile based on your breast width, tissue characteristics, and your desired size.

Which implant

Great job on how you're approaching your breast augmentation.  You are asking all the right questions.  I think looking at your desired photos you should get a very good and natural result.  The 225 is a small implant and will likely get you into a natural B cup.   For the most natural look I would agree that you avoid the high profile implant.  A moderate plus implant would be a good choice for you most likely.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Small and thin patient with little breast tissue

In patients who are very petite and have very little breast tissue, I treat this similar to mastectomy patients in that I use a textured dimensional device.  Depending on your physical examination and desires, I would likely use a Sientra textured bidimensional device.  I use implants from Allergan, Mentor, and  Sientra in my practice and our Vectra computer imaging system allows us to show the difference between implants style and shape in you.  I would likely not use a smooth round implant in somebody as small as you because of the higher risk of rippling and fold flawing.  There is no guarantee even with a bidimensional device you will not have any rippling or fold flawing but I do believe it is significantly better.  Incidentally, only board certified plastic surgeons can use Sientra implants.  Cosmetic surgeons cannot use them unless they are  board certified by the American board of plastic surgery.  Read about this Sientra orange dot on real self.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Profile and natural result

Generally speaking a lower profile will give you a more natural result, particularly if you have minimal breast tissue. You would be a great candidate for imaging on the Vectra 3D imaging system so you could see what two different profiles look like side-by-side. 
Looking at ppictures of the way you want to look is helpful but remember, you are starting out in a unique position. You are you and not the person in the photos so your results will be different.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

I'm petite (5'2, 100lbs). Using 200-225cc. What would produce a less fake look with silicone: mod+, or high profile?

Thank you for the good questions.   Although your desire to receive online advice is understandable, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals, concerns, questions directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "B or C cup” or "balls on a chest" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, one in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for the question. With your petite frame and your desire to look natural, I think that you are on the right track. I just performed a breast augmentation on Tuesday on a woman with a similar frame. She is 5'3" and 100 lbs with A cups. I placed the new Inspira 210cc moderate plus gel implants, and she couldn't be happier. The Inspira gel implants have a higher gel to shell ratio, so there is virtually no wrinkling which is important for thin women. I love doing breast surgery and making women feel better about themselves in and out of clothing! I would like to see you in consultation and show you the new Inspira implants. Best of luck!

Sounds like you are preparing yourself well for this surgery. The difference between the high profile and moderate profile is the shape of the implant. A moderate profile implant will give you a slightly flatter appearance from side to side where as a high profile implant will give you more volume towards the front of your breast. Both implants can give you a natural appearance it is more so dependant on your personal preference. Best of luck.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I'm petite (5'2, 100lbs). Using 200-225cc. What would produce a less fake look with silicone: mod+, or high profile

The higher the profile of the implant , the greater the chance that your appearance after the breast augmentation will look unnatural, so I would stick with the moderate + on this one

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Implants

Hi Ready,
First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover. With a good fit, then it really doesn't matter much if you use HP or MP in this size range.  Here are a few tips for you because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Also see the video attached to my answer. Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot print". The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”. BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA. (We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra. The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues. Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan. Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years. Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.
You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra. Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think. Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.
Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively. Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.
We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals. It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.” These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals. Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype.
Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge. Does the PS offer all three incisions? Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach." Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you. All the best, “Dr. Joe”